Wagga + P25

ivahri

Re: Wagga + P25

Post by ivahri » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 am

Farsouthscanner wrote:I agree Andrew the audio quality isn't as good as the GRN.
At first I thought that it was just because I have been used to listening to analogue for the past 12 or so years but after listening to the digital channels for a while I still don't think its as clear as the GRN. Its not bad but listening to the two of them at the same time you can tell the difference.
Mark
Hi Mark,

I just saw this and thought it needed an answer. You are not hearing the audio quality that either the radio users or the operators are hearing. You are listening to audio that has gone through a couple of links and then been patched so is being compressed and gone through a couple of A-D conversions. You can't compare it to the GRN because you are actually listening to the GRN... You aren't in a position to do a true comparison... Having used the Tait TB9100 based voting networks the audio quality is as good as the GRN (it sounds the same) and it is only when I listen to patched audio that I hear any degradation.

Cheers

Richard

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but are you meaning a A-D conversion in the console of VKG? If so I am guessing then that once all channels are digital the quality will improve as there won't be a need to convert anything.
With regards to the audio quality with votes and GRN, it makes sense when you think about it as digital is digital and as long as the signal is good it should all be the same.
Mark

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:02 am

Hi Mark,

Correct...

Eventually there will only be D-A at the console and all of the links will be IP. Police and my employer are implementing what is called a "DFSI" interface which eliminates the D-A and A-D conversion that happens when a transmission is patched across these networks. When that happens you should have crystal clear digital audio no matter where you are (assuming there aren't other issues).

Cheers

Richard

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Sounds good (excuse the pun), Thanks for the explanation Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 am

All, Just heard on the local radio station of all places that Channel W will go encrypted this Thursday 18/12/14. Hearing the Wagga radio techs out working this morning obviously getting ready.
The audio has improved a lot in the past week.
Cheers

www.goulburnscan.com - Scanning the Tablelands.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VK2MRC

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:47 pm

What are the media in the southern region going to do now... haha

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:49 pm

More to the point... what's ESO 10 going to broadcast now?

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 am

I was wondering about how they are going to do this?
Maybe in NSW Regional the Zone 3 is the Digital Clear profile and Zone 4 is the Digital Encryption profile
Makes it a very simple switch from one zone to the next zone to roll it out, as both have the same NAC
Consequently the references I have heard to Zone 4 may have been about crews using it a simplex "enc" back channel

I think regional encryption is coming quicker than people realise, only slowed by how much $ funding there is
Thinking out aloud November (Hunter Valley) and Oscar (Grafton) are works in progress to finish off each district ... suspect that they will go over to the dark side some time in 2015
Sierra, Quebec and Papa are probably next in the queue then resources will end up in Yankee and Zulu (Bathurst, Dubbo etc) to finish it off in a few years time.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:22 am

I have heard November vehicles told to zone 4 channel XX a couple of times now. This has been during unfolding situations. It was my understanding that it was an encrypted site that was already online ready for the upgrade
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm

well soon find out anyway, if the info i got was correct
VK2MRC