Air Wing Surveillance

cartman

Air Wing Surveillance

Post by cartman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 pm

On the motorways and freeways you see reference to fixed wing air surveillance signage and various kilometre markings
Did the police ever manage to carry out this type of infringement enforcement or did it die a silent death through cost cutting, lack of staff, lack of planes etc
I have never heard of anybody being booked by this method

Grant

PS Lucky not to be booked this afternoon myself - three HWP cycles doing speed gun monitoring on the m4 eastbound 100km/hr section under the M7 flyovers - fortunately their view of me doing 110km/hr still was blocked by a big bus in front of me plus they were distracted talking to themselves and not pointing at the exact moment
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

rustynswrail

Re: Air Wing Surveillance

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 am

cartman wrote:On the motorways and freeways you see reference to fixed wing air surveillance signage and various kilometre markings
Did the police ever manage to carry out this type of infringement enforcement or did it die a silent death through cost cutting, lack of staff, lack of planes etc
I have never heard of anybody being booked by this method
Grant
PS Lucky not to be booked this afternoon myself - three HWP cycles doing speed gun monitoring on the m4 eastbound 100km/hr section under the M7 flyovers - fortunately their view of me doing 110km/hr still was blocked by a big bus in front of me plus they were distracted talking to themselves and not pointing at the exact moment
Grant,

The aerial speed checks are carried out sometimes. Weather, staffing and funding are the three main issues that restrict it.

Also even though your speedo was showing 110 kph, you were more than lilely only doing 100 kph, as the error in the speedo usually falls to the slow side. In the work truck the speedo will show 120 kph, the GPS shows 112 kph. The GPS being more accurate of course.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 pm

rustynswrail wrote: ~ Also even though your speedo was showing 110 kph, you were more than lilely only doing 100 kph, as the error in the speedo usually falls to the slow side. In the work truck the speedo will show 120 kph, the GPS shows 112 kph. The GPS being more accurate of course.

R
It's actually a little known fact that vehicle manufacturers are deliberately setting speedos fast for fear of being sued, I know someone who bought a Toyota Yaris and she always complained that she could sit on the speed limit (by the car speedo) and everything else on the road, including trucks, were virtually driving over her.

We checked it out with a GPS and found it was reading almost 15% high! She took the car back to the dealer and they showed her a Toyota memo sent to the dealers because so many customers had been complaining about the same thing.

Apparently people in the U.S. were suing manufacturers after being booked for speeding so the car companies are covering their arses by making speedos read higher.

Andrew

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I forgot to add that setting speedos to read faster also artificially improves their fuel economy figures as the odometer is also ticking over faster therefore recording more kilometers than you've actually travelled.

Andrew

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Those motorcycles do a run up and down the M2 around 3-5pm each day looking in everyones windows to see if your on the phone, also bust motorbikes using the shoulder and bus lane during peak traffic. As for the planes, i havent seen one yet on the section at Menangle-Picton on the Hume Hwy. Last i even heard of one was about 9 months ago at Goulburn.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:25 pm

It's been going on for years. Their allowed 10% slow. I quite often sit just above 110 with no probs.
As for the aerial speed checks I havnt heard polair 6 for ages. They normally call up on the areas channel to notify the highwaycars working. I'm guessing the money isn't there to run polar 6.
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, i can't see them making any money out of running 2-3 highway patrol cars, and a aircraft just to book 1 in 500 cars for speeding. Would cost them a few thousand to run the plane, u won't reclaim that money booking a handful of people for doing 10-20km/h over. Even if they got the jackpot in the 130km/h+ range it still wouldn't be viable.

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm

just further to the thread,
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 5858115745

A POLICE speed plane touted as being a key weapon in fighting the road toll has caught just 16 speeding motorists in more than four months.

Bad weather, airspace restrictions and visibility problems have hampered its flyovers of major roads, documents obtained under Freedom of Information laws reveal.

The documents include emails that reveal senior police and the force's media unit are obsessed with spin when it comes to the road toll. NSW Police announced in December it was launching a Cessna 206H plane to monitor drivers on the Hume Highway at Marulan, the M4 and the F3.

The plane was to check the time it took for vehicles to travel between two points, thus gauging their speed.

But by March a quarter of patrols had been cancelled due to bad weather. Police delayed telling the public about plans to use aircraft patrols for weeks because Police Minister Michael Daley's office wanted to wait to "wheel it out in the media" until it was flying, an email from police media revealed.....

more from the URL if u want to read more.