Channel X

ivahri

Re: Channel X

Post by ivahri » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Sometimes you have to think before you type and ask yourself if what you are intending to post could cause harm in the hands of morons. What you posted was not "common" knowledge and it only takes one smarta#se to go & use that information maliciously and someone gets hurt. Maybe I was a bit harsh but geez what you posted read like some kind of challenge to someone to do it. At least that is the way I read it.

Cheers,

Richard

AML

Post by AML » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:11 pm

ivahri wrote:Sometimes you have to think before you type and ask yourself if what you are intending to post could cause harm in the hands of morons. What you posted was not "common" knowledge and it only takes one smarta#se to go & use that information maliciously and someone gets hurt. Maybe I was a bit harsh but geez what you posted read like some kind of challenge to someone to do it. At least that is the way I read it.

Cheers,

Richard
Any everyday moron would not have a clue how to setup a console and it is common knowledge in the radio industry

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm

AML,

There are some shonky people working in the radio industry so just making that statement isn't very smart either

Andrew

AML

Post by AML » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:AML,

There are some shonky people working in the radio industry so just making that statement isn't very smart either

Andrew
Plenty of shonky taxi drivers as well...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 pm

AML wrote:
ivahri wrote:Sometimes you have to think before you type and ask yourself if what you are intending to post could cause harm in the hands of morons. What you posted was not "common" knowledge and it only takes one smarta#se to go & use that information maliciously and someone gets hurt. Maybe I was a bit harsh but geez what you posted read like some kind of challenge to someone to do it. At least that is the way I read it.

Cheers,

Richard
Any everyday moron would not have a clue how to setup a console and it is common knowledge in the radio industry
Is it? I think you overestimate what is common knowledge. Most of the techs I work with wouldn't know that and that is understandable because they have better things to be concerned with. Till recently MDC was rarely used in Australia where 5 tone was used more commonly. The more I read your posts AML I get the impression that you are having a bit of a snigger at how smart you are & how dumb some of us are. I'm happy to share information with anyone so long as the information is harmless & in the public interest. I'm stuffed if I can see the point in virtually daring some to illegally use MDC... you haven't actually said that but I don't think I'm the only one thinking you are inferring it.

Cheers,

Richard

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

agree with your comments Richard

Andrew

AML

Post by AML » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm

ivahri wrote:Is it? I think you overestimate what is common knowledge. Most of the techs I work with wouldn't know that and that is understandable because they have better things to be concerned with. Till recently MDC was rarely used in Australia where 5 tone was used more commonly. The more I read your posts AML I get the impression that you are having a bit of a snigger at how smart you are & how dumb some of us are. I'm happy to share information with anyone so long as the information is harmless & in the public interest. I'm stuffed if I can see the point in virtually daring some to illegally use MDC... you haven't actually said that but I don't think I'm the only one thinking you are inferring it.

Cheers,

Richard
MDC has been used for many many years in Australia. sure I'm having a snigger, 5 tone is hardly used here compared to other formats. I maybe service 10 customers that use MDC out of 200+ customers

simple google searches will provide more information than what is in this thread. hell, don't go onto batlabs or radio reference without your blood pressure meds

And to your suggestion that you are happy to provide information so long as it is harmless, this is coming after your post that CTCSS tones should not be available. come on. tried listening to a user in an area using the same frequency as someone else without a Tone active? impossible

Simple example of this is RFS et al, 3 different tones used on exactly the same frequency

I'm interested on your take on the upcoming change for NSW police with their swap from current setup to the GRN with conventional links for non GRN users to communicate with them and the ability to use the radios in several states in Australia via GRN links

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

AML,

I'm sorry but your version of history is totally wrong. MDC1200 was a Motorola proprietary standard unsupported by any other vendor till only recent years. 5 tone signalling was the overwhelmingly dominant form of selcall/control in Australia- how do you think the users of Philips, Tait, heck even going back to STC got around this? I go back to the old Sigtec decoder/encoders, I even remember fitting Sigtec boards to a variety of different radios, and no MDC1200 was ever offered. This was an American standard... You must have grown up on Motorola radios.

And you don't need CTCSS to listen... anything more is handy maybe, but not essential to permit someone to monitor. Most agencies use multiple CTCSSs, you have to for frequency reuse. That doesn't stop you listening- heard of FM capture effect? The strongest signal will get through CTCSS or not.

You really have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes to permit almost seamless roaming between state GRNs. I was discussing this with one of the network managers yesterday & it is distinctly possible in coming years. Security standards between the networks will be a very big issue... I identified a big flaw in one (not NSW) only yesterday & alerted Moto to it.

Mate I've been on RadioReference for years, many years. My motto is "Know Thy Enemy".

Cheers,

Richard

AML

Post by AML » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm

ivahri wrote:AML,

I'm sorry but your version of history is totally wrong. MDC1200 was a Motorola proprietary standard unsupported by any other vendor till only recent years. 5 tone signalling was the overwhelmingly dominant form of selcall/control in Australia- how do you think the users of Philips, Tait, heck even going back to STC got around this? I go back to the old Sigtec decoder/encoders, I even remember fitting Sigtec boards to a variety of different radios, and no MDC1200 was ever offered. This was an American standard... You must have grown up on Motorola radios.

And you don't need CTCSS to listen... anything more is handy maybe, but not essential to permit someone to monitor. Most agencies use multiple CTCSSs, you have to for frequency reuse. That doesn't stop you listening- heard of FM capture effect? The strongest signal will get through CTCSS or not.

You really have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes to permit almost seamless roaming between state GRNs. I was discussing this with one of the network managers yesterday & it is distinctly possible in coming years. Security standards between the networks will be a very big issue... I identified a big flaw in one (not NSW) only yesterday & alerted Moto to it.

Mate I've been on RadioReference for years, many years. My motto is "Know Thy Enemy".

Cheers,

Richard
You alerted Moto to a flaw ? LOL, and what did they say ? considering they can't fix piles of XTS5000's with a simple fault and wanted to replace the entire radio fleet. I suggest their "Tech" look at a batlabs link and hey presto, radios fixed. I'll mention another one, ever seen a Moto representative in court ? I have(several times), when asked basic questions on the production and specs of gear, the reply was "I'll need to contact our expert in the USA", considering that person was listed as "expert radio communications witness" I was stunned.

Limited knowledge behind the scenes hey. and years to come ? of course its in years to come. its listed specifically in the requirements for some "groups" to shift onto the GRN and only have to carry one radio instead of 2 like they do now. lets see what happens when the grn shifts over to 380-430mhz.

Ive been using motorola for many years ;). along with tait, phillips/simoco, kenwood plus others.

FM Capture, what a crock. Ive sat in radio huts with multiple repeaters blasting away on high power with no bleed. CTCSS/DCS or NAC is needed for anyone wanting to not hear anything apart from what they specifically want to hear.

Ive maybe had radio bleed on a few occasions when around radios that are so far out of wack it would prob cook your nuts within a few minutes

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:35 am

AML wrote:
ivahri wrote:AML,

Cheers,

Richard
You alerted Moto to a flaw ? LOL, and what did they say ? considering they can't fix piles of XTS5000's with a simple fault and wanted to replace the entire radio fleet. I suggest their "Tech" look at a batlabs link and hey presto, radios fixed. I'll mention another one, ever seen a Moto representative in court ? I have(several times), when asked basic questions on the production and specs of gear, the reply was "I'll need to contact our expert in the USA", considering that person was listed as "expert radio communications witness" I was stunned.

Limited knowledge behind the scenes hey. and years to come ? of course its in years to come. its listed specifically in the requirements for some "groups" to shift onto the GRN and only have to carry one radio instead of 2 like they do now. lets see what happens when the grn shifts over to 380-430mhz.

Ive been using motorola for many years ;). along with tait, phillips/simoco, kenwood plus others.

FM Capture, what a crock. Ive sat in radio huts with multiple repeaters blasting away on high power with no bleed. CTCSS/DCS or NAC is needed for anyone wanting to not hear anything apart from what they specifically want to hear.

Ive maybe had radio bleed on a few occasions when around radios that are so far out of wack it would prob cook your nuts within a few minutes
Well you would be the last person on planet earth I would tell what the flaw is... I wouldn't post it on an internet forum.

I don't know what drugs you are on. You don't have multiple repeaters on the same channel in a base hut, do you? So how does capture effect, as in multiple signals on the same freq relate to a hilltop situation? Adjacent channel, receiver selectivity, and proper filtering is another issue entirely. But the whole idea of CTCSS is to stop distant signals normally at a lower level from opening the transmitter.

If you worked on Tait & Philips as in FM90 and PRM80 series, or T700 or earlier you would know that NONE of these offered MDC signalling and nor was it available in the Sigtec de/encoders used by virtually everyone... so your comments couldn't be right because it was physically impossible!

My only response to your comments about Moto techs is... some people DO while others just TALK. So which one are you? I have my own opinion. There are good Moto techs & there are bad Moto techs just as there is in Tait, Simoco and every other company. But if you think that Moto are a bunch of dummies I wonder how they could roll-out some of the largest, most sophisticated P25 networks in the world. Ah Yes! Because they read Batlabs... ho ho ho... move the chip to the other shoulder AML, you are about to lose your balance.

Cheers

Richard