Channel X

centralcoastscanman

Re: Channel X

Post by centralcoastscanman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 pm

i'd have to agree and hope so but there are some truely screwed up people in this world that could want to use damage, most of them live overseas in Pakistan and afghanistan in the mountain areas so you get the drift

criten

Post by criten » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:i'd have to agree and hope so but there are some truely screwed up people in this world that could want to use damage, most of them live overseas in Pakistan and afghanistan in the mountain areas so you get the drift
I don't think you even need to leave our shores or even your own street - they're everywhere. Working in customer service has taught me this. But thats a different matter entirely.

AML

Post by AML » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm

ivahri wrote:I guess that would be true if someone has a variable MDC1200 encoder, much like anything based on selcall. I don't know many people that have that capability (or inclination!). :)
:)
Variable Encoder. Console(many types+programmed radio)= stun. several people around australia are able to do this.

cartman

Post by cartman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Soon or later I can see that somebody will come up with a proposal to legislate banning the use of radio transmitter programming software/hardware unless they are an authorised operator/user for the site/system in question. Won't stop the problem but I can see that one getting a push at a government / agency / communications company level

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

AML

Post by AML » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:14 pm

cartman wrote:Soon or later I can see that somebody will come up with a proposal to legislate banning the use of radio transmitter programming software/hardware unless they are an authorized operator/user for the site/system in question. Won't stop the problem but I can see that one getting a push at a government / agency / communications company level

Grant
Is that not already like this in a way ? With equipment readily available, it will be impossible to police. Just make it illegal to have in your custody a radio programmed to TX. a bit like the receiver of stolen goods having a higher penalty than the actual thief

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Thats why I'm so glad I have my advanced HAM call. Everything I own is legit and operated as such under the LCD.

:)

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm

AML,

So what are you trying to say? I can drive my car at 180km/h but I have enough brains to decide not to. If you think you are telling us something new you aren't... anyone who has worked with MDC since before Motorola relaxed the patent knows there are 3rd party de/encoders both in soft & hardware. That doesn't mean that there is an issue with using MDC1200 anymore than using any other form of selective calling & control. If someone chooses to maliciously use such a device does so at THEIR peril. But despite what you wrote I don't believe that (a) many people have an MDC ENcoder, and (b) most of those who do have it for legitimate reasons.

Do you think that system licensees should have to police illegal transmitters? It should be illegal to possess a transmitter unless you have a licence to operate it, ACMA shouldn't have to prove that it has been used- possession should be sufficient to be an offence. Your comments are quite irresponsible- precisely the kind of comments that drive government to ever increasing levels of security. And I've got news for you... when they do there will be loud shrieks from those who have been denied their Constitutional right to stickbeak on guvment... and then I'll remind them of your post pointing out how easy it is to disable a radio. I'm sure they will thank you. The community has a right to believe their emergency service staff are doing their jobs without the risk of interference by overgrown adolescents with more technology than their little brains can handle.

Cheers,

Richard

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm

ivahri wrote:It should be illegal to possess a transmitter unless you have a licence to operate it
I'm 99.999% sure that is actually the case at the moment Richard, though my memory on the Radcom act is a little hazy having not read any regulations for 7 years now..

Cheres,
Matt

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Matt,

It might be but would they enforce it? That is why so much effort goes in to catching people in the act.

Cheers,

Richard

AML

Post by AML » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

ivahri wrote:AML,

So what are you trying to say? I can drive my car at 180km/h but I have enough brains to decide not to. If you think you are telling us something new you aren't... anyone who has worked with MDC since before Motorola relaxed the patent knows there are 3rd party de/encoders both in soft & hardware. That doesn't mean that there is an issue with using MDC1200 anymore than using any other form of selective calling & control. If someone chooses to maliciously use such a device does so at THEIR peril. But despite what you wrote I don't believe that (a) many people have an MDC ENcoder, and (b) most of those who do have it for legitimate reasons.

Do you think that system licensees should have to police illegal transmitters? It should be illegal to possess a transmitter unless you have a licence to operate it, ACMA shouldn't have to prove that it has been used- possession should be sufficient to be an offence. Your comments are quite irresponsible- precisely the kind of comments that drive government to ever increasing levels of security. And I've got news for you... when they do there will be loud shrieks from those who have been denied their Constitutional right to stickbeak on guvment... and then I'll remind them of your post pointing out how easy it is to disable a radio. I'm sure they will thank you. The community has a right to believe their emergency service staff are doing their jobs without the risk of interference by overgrown adolescents with more technology than their little brains can handle.

Cheers,

Richard
Your comments are a bit harsh richard, I was simply identifying that it could easily be done, just like hundreds of radios out there programmed for things they should not be.