Channel X

AML

Re: Channel X

Post by AML » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:29 pm

ivahri wrote:A few have also discovered that the NSWFB have the same capability both on GRN and PMR. That is why all of the radios send out a short "blip" of data on the end of transmissions, they all send a radio ID automatically.
Richard
this also allows anybody else to stun any RID they wish. ;)

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am

I guess that would be true if someone has a variable MDC1200 encoder, much like anything based on selcall. I don't know many people that have that capability (or inclination!). :)
:)

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 am

A library has already been done - http://www.matthew.at/mdc/

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 am

And for those that want a pre-packaged app based on those libraries - http://antistatic.org/winmdcd/

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:10 pm

The antistatic site has been around for a few years. Again it comes down to having the inclination to want to play around with this... I can think of better things to spend my time doing but it isn't nothing new as forms of selcall have been around for decades.

Cheers

msid

Post by msid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

So let me get this right, the application / libraries referred to above allow you to see the RID of the radio transmitting? That pretty much sum it up..??

Don't anyone take this personally as it's not meant to offend, but I'm confused as to the point of an application like this. It'd be essentially useless to anyone other than a system tech, or someone wanting to obtain RIDs for unauthorised and illegal use of the network the RID was obtained from.... In which case, not really the thing we want to be advertising around here I don't think in light of recent events. Just my thoughts! :)

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:33 pm

No - its a complete API... It lets you see more than just RIDs.

So - if I shouldn't be advertising ti cause it lets people see RIDs (heaven forbid!) then perhaps we need to ban Unitrunker, Trunker, remove those forums, etc etc as these applications also give these kind of details away too.

Not having a go at anyone here - just providing food for thought.

msid

Post by msid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

citabria wrote:No - its a complete API... It lets you see more than just RIDs.

So - if I shouldn't be advertising ti cause it lets people see RIDs (heaven forbid!) then perhaps we need to ban Unitrunker, Trunker, remove those forums, etc etc as these applications also give these kind of details away too.

Not having a go at anyone here - just providing food for thought.

lol ok you win, good point, I hadn't thought about that! :)

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Citabria,

It comes down to what this information is used for. I still have reservations about CTCSS tones being published because you don't need them to monitor and anything more than monitoring is a matter for the licence holder & no-one else but that horse has well and truly bolted... so big deal if people decode MDC IDs- but transmitting is a whole other kettle of fish as they should not be txing without the permission of a licencee. Could someone disable a radio maliciously via MDC1200? Absolutely, but I hope no-one is suggesting that is any way acceptable?

Cheers,

Richard

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Richard,

Of course illegal transmissions are not acceptable - these bits of software are just tools to me. And like all tools they must be used responsibly and properly. As someone that is a keen promoter of SDR (Software Defined Radio)

In the end it will always be down to the individual to do the right thing, and as a licensed HAM I am bound by the LCDs to behave properly. I would like to believe that everyone in this particular community feels the same way I do and would act appropriately if they discovered one of the peers was "tickling the dragons tail" so to speak.

With respect,
Matt