Laughable article on criminals accessing NSW police radio.

Mike Alpha

Laughable article on criminals accessing NSW police radio.

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm

frankc

Re: Laughable article on criminals accessing NSW police radi

Post by frankc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Mike Alpha wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... radio.html

Where does one start??

Mike
New South Wales police described their radio system as 'sophisticated' and ensured they undergo 'regular testing'.

However even if police catch people listening in to their radio, hackers can buy back the connection for as little as $5000.
WTF does that mean ? Unless they have access to MATCad - the media filtered verson of CAD.

Perhaps Rusty may wish to enlighten us about that quote :-)

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 pm

The Daily Telegraph article this was ripped off was actually more accurate. The Daily Mail "reporter" tried to embellish it to appeal more to their readership.

The accused assassins of former crime boss Mick Hawi allegedly had access to internal police radio conversations using a black market transmitter.

DM pulled that one out of their bum hole.

Mike

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm

frankc wrote:
Mike Alpha wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... radio.html Where does one start?? Mike
New South Wales police described their radio system as 'sophisticated' and ensured they undergo 'regular testing'.
However even if police catch people listening in to their radio, hackers can buy back the connection for as little as $5000.
WTF does that mean ? Unless they have access to MATCad - the media filtered verson of CAD.
Perhaps Rusty may wish to enlighten us about that quote :-)
To be honest I don't have the foggiest idea what they are talking about. I would suggest the adage of "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Remember this about the print media in Yes Prime Minister:

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.

Say no more.
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

ross85

Post by ross85 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 pm

I wonder if the portable actually worked on the police network or was it just a stolen one that they had zapped making it inoperable? I know there is a pretty good system in place where by all equipment is checked regularly and anything missing is jumped on fairly quickly. I'd say they would of had it for no longer than a few days before it was shut down by vkg. Still got me beat wtf this means? [quote]
[However even if police catch people listening in to their radio, hackers can buy back the connection for as little as $5000.]

frankc

Post by frankc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm

ross85 wrote:I wonder if the portable actually worked on the police network or was it just a stolen one that they had zapped making it inoperable? I know there is a pretty good system in place where by all equipment is checked regularly and anything missing is jumped on fairly quickly. I'd say they would of had it for no longer than a few days before it was shut down by vkg. Still got me beat wtf this means?

[However even if police catch people listening in to their radio, hackers can buy back the connection for as little as $5000.]
Exactly, unless there is some alleged corruption involving a serving member/worker "loaning" him a radio

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Daily Mail.. do we need to say any more?

frankc

Post by frankc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm

matthewn1983 wrote:Daily Mail.. do we need to say any more?
Daily Telegraph Version - https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 916eaa66ef
LONE Wolf bikies allegedly behind the execution of former crime boss Mick Hawi had access to internal police radio conversations.

Strike Force Amirs police found “a portable radio capable of monitoring operational police activity” during raids on August 2, when they seized a tow truck and three cars allegedly used in the Hawi murder.

Tow truck driver Moustafa Salami, 36, was arrested on Friday and charged with accessory after the fact to murder, for allegedly moving one of the getaway cars used in the shooting of Hawi.

The alleged triggerman was Lone Wolf bikie member Yusuf Nazlioglu, 37. His gang colleague Ahmad “Adam” Doudar, 38, allegedly planned the killing. Both men have been charged with murder. It is widely known in the tow-truck industry that devices allowing access to the state-of-the-art encrypted police radio system can be acquired on the black market for up to $25,000.

NSW Police would not confirm it would change encryption codes or security settings after the device had been found but said: “Radio encryption protocols are sophisticated and undergo regular testing and review for the ongoing protection of serving members and the general public.”

But underworld hackers have become so proficient, even when police do upgrade or change security setting, criminals or tow-truck drivers can buy back onto the police airwaves for another $5000.