"T6"

cartman

"T6"

Post by cartman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:20 pm

I am not sure what to make of this vehicle
I was in Bunnings Ashfield about an hour ago about to leave the car park
While crawling along to the exit I noticed a 4wd behind, will aerials everywhere.
No identifyiung markings except "T6"on both doors and what appeared to "EA" on the bonnet.
It had blue and energency lights, on one roof rack what appeared to be 4 GRN aerials (I have seen similar on the ECRL Line hanging from the roof), another aerial /device (white plastic in colour - widest in the middle) and maybe one or two other aerials
In front on the ute roof there was a dome like round object
There were more aerials but i was busy driving.

At a guess I would say NSW Police tech's vehicle used for signal mapping - perhaps the conversion to GRN from 468Mhz

Grant

PS Wish I had a camera
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

BerryV

Re: "T6"

Post by BerryV » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 pm

cartman wrote:At a guess I would say NSW Police tech's vehicle used for signal mapping - perhaps the conversion to GRN from 468Mhz
Highly doupt that. NSW Police tech's have nothing to do with grn signal mapping, Bytecan does a fine job of that already and their is plenty of real life coverage data available already.

NSW Police don't even install many of their own antenna's these days, it is all contracted out ;)

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:41 am

With regard to the techs/grn ... the police techs were doing signal checking/mapping on both the police network and the grn back in august that lasted weeks on end in anticipation of the shift from the 468Mhz to the GRN. I was listening via the Digital Patch on Talkgroup 57440.

As to identity of the vehicle - another thought is the federal body - Emergency Management Australia

Grant
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:

Air490

Post by Air490 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 pm

NSW Police will never go to GRN. Never ever. They have been told they can't have priority 1 access to the system, only priority 2 access like NSWFB and ASNSW. This is unacceptable, so they won't make the change.

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 am

Well they are changing their tune in the last 9 mths.
My sources are impeccable
Definitely going to happen (cops going to GRN)
The reality is that within a few years you will have police encryption rolled out in Tamworth and anywhere where there is blanket GRN coverage

Grant
Scanners:
Software:

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:42 pm

cartman wrote:Well they are changing their tune in the last 9 mths.
My sources are impeccable
Definitely going to happen (cops going to GRN)
The reality is that within a few years you will have police encryption rolled out in Tamworth and anywhere where there is blanket GRN coverage

Grant
I agree (and held this line even when another forum member with "knowledge" from canberra said it would never happen and also disputed my claim that 380mhz was going to happen in the future which it very much will).

GRN WILL happen, notice that all the new NSWP radios are now XTS2500's ;)

$$ are tight at the moment for the govt, but there have been serious talks about the massive costs the police network have and the need for uniform communications/reduced costs. some projects have been delayed a bit, but it will happen in the near/medium future

take SA GRN as the blueprint ;)

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 pm

I know they want 380Mhz (having examined all the relevant radcom 2008 stuff) but from what I read the Defence guys aren't budging from their position.
I suspect that 410-440Mhz might be the bandwidth that they (government emergency agencies) will end up with.
When you read the documents on the acma site, they still mention TETRA as a possibility but somehow I cant see TETRA will ever get a look in (especially in a rural setting) , due to the fact that most states have opted already for P25 solutions and combined with vast distances and low density populations it is obvious it will be P25 trunking.

Grant

PS Tetra works OK in a high population density area like Sydney but Motorla have learnt from experience that with the lower base and portabe power, you will have to install sufficient sites close together to get a suitable network up and running.
Scanners:
Software:

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 pm

cartman wrote:I know they want 380Mhz (having examined all the relevant radcom 2008 stuff) but from what I read the Defence guys aren't budging from their position.
I suspect that 410-440Mhz might be the bandwidth that they (government emergency agencies) will end up with.
When you read the documents on the acma site, they still mention TETRA as a possibility but somehow I cant see TETRA will ever get a look in (especially in a rural setting) , due to the fact that most states have opted already for P25 solutions and combined with vast distances and low density populations it is obvious it will be P25 trunking.

Grant

PS Tetra works OK in a high population density area like Sydney but Motorla have learnt from experience that with the lower base and portabe power, you will have to install sufficient sites close together to get a suitable network up and running.
Defense use 380-390mhz but on a minimal scale compared to other freq use, naval ships use xts5k's in simplex via ADP enc and army use some here and there however most of the rest are lower split waris radios around aust. 380-400 use in NSW is nothing compared to some other states and from what ive heard and read(not the ACMA site) there is and has been serious discussion about it.

none the less, NSWP will end up on GRN just like all the other groups.

Tetra won't happen, the equipment cost swap will make it very cost prohib considering all the gear nsw/act has already laid out + the current supply contracts don't show any shift ;)

As a tax payer in NSW, The funding getting diverted to NSWP radio network upkeep is absurd considering the GRN is already there. give half the NSWP radio budget to the GRN, imagine the coverage/capacity increase.

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 am

cartman wrote:I am not sure what to make of this vehicle
I was in Bunnings Ashfield about an hour ago about to leave the car park
While crawling along to the exit I noticed a 4wd behind, will aerials everywhere.
No identifyiung markings except "T6"on both doors and what appeared to "EA" on the bonnet.
It had blue and energency lights, on one roof rack what appeared to be 4 GRN aerials (I have seen similar on the ECRL Line hanging from the roof), another aerial /device (white plastic in colour - widest in the middle) and maybe one or two other aerials
In front on the ute roof there was a dome like round object
There were more aerials but i was busy driving.

At a guess I would say NSW Police tech's vehicle used for signal mapping - perhaps the conversion to GRN from 468Mhz

Grant

PS Wish I had a camera
Same T6 vehicle or updated version has been identified as Ausgrid on "Aussie Scanners"
EA = Energy Australia

http://www.aussiescanners.com/forum/vie ... 280#p32280
Scanners:
Software:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

cartman wrote:Same T6 vehicle or updated version has been identified as Ausgrid on "Aussie Scanners"
EA = Energy Australia

http://www.aussiescanners.com/forum/vie ... 280#p32280
Good god - it's like a commercial version of a 'wacker' vehicle :)

It's got a covered lighter on the roof, which I would guess is covered because it is red/blue.

I couldn't image what this vehicle would be used for. One site with a bloke who reckons he knows the driver mentions it is used for "remote monitoring and survey" work - looking at the emergency equipment I would highly doubt that, but then you consider the off-road equipment and you have to wonder.