NSW Police for sale...

Mike Alpha

NSW Police for sale...

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 42,00.html

THE insatiable demand for reality-TV is proving to be a boom for NSW Police with the force signing an increasing number of exclusive deals with "true crime" style shows.

The force has signed contracts with at least four highly-rated shows, granting film crews exclusive access behind the crime scene tape in "user-pays" arrangements.

The deals are being made as the force limits the amount of information being made available to the mainstream media, including The Daily Telegraph.

But police say the access being granted to shows such as Channel 7's The Force and Crash Investigations Unit, Channel 9's Missing Persons Unit and Channel 10's upcoming The Recruits, is an arrangement available to any media outlet that wishes to enter into a user-pays contract.
Earlier this year, the NSW Police Force encrypted their police scanners, which means the media is not informed of many major crimes, such as murders, until a media release is issued the following day.

Encrypted their police scanners??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Re: NSW Police for sale...

Post by citabria » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:45 am

Hahaha! Thats gold.

The stupidity of the media never ceases to amaze me... (present company excluded, of course)

frankc

Re: NSW Police for sale...

Post by frankc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:58 pm

As a West Australian Scanner user, even though VKI went digital encrypted in June - the media still manage to cover the big stories without any serious delay.

Plus I've noticed on The Force that the WA Police are more willing to allow coverage of high risk and dangerous jobs involving the TRG etc, while the NSW Police are more guarded in what gets shown.

I wonder if this is due to the "chequered history", between NSW Police and certain media outlets ? :-)