Hands free radio in Police cars

freqwaves

Hands free radio in Police cars

Post by freqwaves » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:20 pm

There was a recommendation for Police to have handsfree radios in their Police cars so they would not need to hold a microphone in their hand while driving,especially in pursuit situations.This was mentioned after the fatal accident which claimed the life of a infant in a Police pursuit at Ingleburn on the Hume hwy. "Skys law" came of this.
Would a handsfree radio system be suitable for Police in these situations?
Do the current radios have this option?
Changing over to new radios on the GRN might have have these options?

Open to some feedback on this subject.

Thanks, John.

matthewn1983

Re: Hands free radio in Police cars

Post by matthewn1983 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 am

Bluetooth for their phones might be a good start, like everyone else has to.

techman

Post by techman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Motorola have a radio and stearing wheel control option which odd are costs an arm and leg and you will need a us made police car to fit it into. I think it is the o9 option.

the biggest issue I suspect is most cars are setup for bluetooth style setups but there is no ptt option and layouts very between models of cars unless the plan is to install some custom hardware into the car. Another option maybe VOX but it has it's issues as well.
Don't like it, either get over it or retire

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 pm

two officers per car.....
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm

techman wrote: ~ Another option maybe VOX but it has it's issues as well.
I doubt a VOX system could reliably pick out a voice over the top of sirens and all the other noise present during an urgent duty run?

And even if one could, I'm sure there is quite a lot of conversation that you would NOT want to be broadcasting! :)

Andrew

techman

Post by techman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:
I doubt a VOX system could reliably pick out a voice over the top of sirens and all the other noise present during an urgent duty run?

And even if one could, I'm sure there is quite a lot of conversation that you would NOT want to be broadcasting! :)

Andrew
Yes as said it would have issues as well - I vote for two officers in the car as well
Don't like it, either get over it or retire

news

Post by news » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 am

Bigfella237 wrote:

Andrew
All Hwy cars are recorded on both voice and video anyway so I am sure officers are "cautious" anyway ;)

I have remote PTT on both my XTL and Tait radios in the car(swap between radios by flicking a switch on the dashboard). PTT switch is mounted on the steering wheel and mic is next to the phone car kit mic. works a treat, no need to hold the mic any more