Improving the CASA air rego database

criten

Improving the CASA air rego database

Post by criten » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am

I was thinking about how I could improve the CASA air registration database so I've started to implement my own lookup tool. Essentially I'm taking CASA's CSV file and turning it into a MySQL database so I can then do fast index based searching. My CSV import process is totally automated and happens every day at 3am.

http://scanner.criten.org/air/registration.php is my lookup tool.

I'll be soon adding support to submit photos for aircraft registrations, and the page will display up to 100 photos per aircraft.

I was also considering adding user contributed call signs and have these call signs search able. So with searches for say "Rescue 23" we could direct visitors to VH-SYV or Polair 3 to VH-PHB. As its user contributed, someone will need to contribute call sign information to the database.

Obviously photos and call signs will be subject to moderation (me as the moderator).

I'm also interested in what people think of how the data is displayed and if there are any design or layout suggestions. I've included the raw array data at the bottom of the page simply so it can be seen what data is available to me.

I'm interested in what others think of my ideas. I'm also after some photos of aircraft, particularly ones that'd have call signs (so anything Rescue, PolAir or Parks). If someone could post a few here that'd be great - I'll use them for testing my photo submission system.

cartman

Re: Improving the CASA air rego database

Post by cartman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 pm

A lot of that sort of thing is already being done for the larger aircraft eg Flightradar24.com with its links to the airliner.net photos etc
I never understood however why only some planes appear on it and not others, and particularly when a plane, say an Embraiser E190 has appeared once or twice in the last couple of weeks but not on other occasions, despite travelling through an area where there is adequate coverage from the ground
Is it an equipment issue ie not installed or not switched on
The Air traffic radio folk seem to be able to track all planes (on their delayed noise broadcast)

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

criten

Post by criten » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

The trouble is Flightradar24 don't display all the possible data. I'm also intending to link to airlines.net, jetphotos.net, planepictures.net, planespotters.net, airfleets.net & data.flight24.com

Also Flightradar24 don't display any images on the same page as rego info.

Finally take a look at the terms of service of some of these aircraft photo sites. You're signing over ownership of the photo to the website by submitting it. I have no intention of doing this.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Also add the 24 bit ICAO ADS-B address too :)

criten

Post by criten » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:32 pm

citabria wrote:Also add the 24 bit ICAO ADS-B address too :)
Good idea. I will.

Although I can't see any lookup systems where I can automate the submission... so I may have to make this user contributed.

criten

Post by criten » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Actually nevermind, I can automate it.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Ya - theres an online lookup table available. the VH-AAA to VH-ZZZ maps to a sequential address.