First larger fire for the season

Farsouthscanner

First larger fire for the season

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi all
There is a fire at Wyndham south of Bega. It started last night and is still going today. At the moment the situation isn't that bad but the west wind has become strong and they are calling in more resources. They are also getting a national parks dozer from Bombala in to help.
This is the first larger fire of the season. I am not sure exactly how big it is though.
Mark

JAFO

Re: First larger fire for the season

Post by JAFO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:17 pm

In Sydney Outer West we have already had a couple of resemble size Grass fires that have resulted in 3rd Alarm NonStratural Calls, the Higher Alarm Status resulted due to the combined response of RFS & NSWFB Resources with a couple of buildings coming under threat.

And again now as I type this, they have another running grass fire near Dunheved with two NSWFB Pumps and 4 Tankers in attendence.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Not to good that there has already been some bigger fires up Sydney way :shock:
Things aren't looking good for summer if there isn't a lot of rain during spring.
There is also a fire now west of Moruya near batemans Bay. There are already several units on scene and they are getting a couple of cat 1s from Batemans Bay and Mogo.
The Temp at the moment in Bega is 30 with an easterly breeze, if /when the westerly change comes closer to the coast it will be very uncomfotable.
Mark

JimK

Post by JimK » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:00 pm

JAFO wrote:In Sydney Outer West we have already had a couple of resemble size Grass fires that have resulted in 3rd Alarm NonStratural Calls, the Higher Alarm Status resulted due to the combined response of RFS & NSWFB Resources with a couple of buildings coming under threat.

And again now as I type this, they have another running grass fire near Dunheved with two NSWFB Pumps and 4 Tankers in attendence.
I gathered a few fires out near Mt Druitt and North St Mary's area were left to burn in the last few weeks, which makes sense to me to take advantage of the cooler weather. You seem to always hear both NSWFB and Cumberland RFS responding to grass all summer.

Frank Costanza

Post by Frank Costanza » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:38 pm

JimK wrote:both NSWFB and Cumberland RFS responding to grass all summer.
Something we should know about here? :lol:
"Serenity now!"

UBC60XLT - BCD396T

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 pm

I was listening to the Blue Mtns RFS channels, and they were responding to jobs in what I thought was NSWFB areas, such as Springwood High School today.

Spoke to a retainer and he states they have some new response protocol and the RFS are now turned out to a lot more areas within the mountains along with NSWFB

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Just for everyones info there was a bit of a flare up this afternnon at Wyndham but it is still within containment lines.
This fire is about 6Ks west of the town.
There have been a few other bits and peices but nothing too bad.

Also kind of sort of related to the RFS and NSWFB call outs, Merimbula has 1 or 2 CFU trailers in a couple of trouble spots in town. These are, as far as I know the first ones in the Bega Valley.
Mark

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:21 pm

There is currently A fire north of Merimbula near Tathra. Jellat brigade is going an they said there is a large amount of smoke. The fire danger at Merimbula is extreeme with a very strong north west wind and only 8% RH
Edit: Just an update from Firecomm there is a house alight near the ABC radio tower
Mark

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:41 pm

JimK wrote:I was listening to the Blue Mtns RFS channels, and they were responding to jobs in what I thought was NSWFB areas, such as Springwood High School today.

Spoke to a retainer and he states they have some new response protocol and the RFS are now turned out to a lot more areas within the mountains along with NSWFB
As a trade off to NSWFB expanding their Fire Districts to take over New Residential and Industrial Estates that have popped and grown in RFS areas, New Local Mutual Aid Zones have been agreed to, so some RFS Stations are now responding a lot more into NSWFB area that they have not in the past.

One RFS Captain I know is not happy with the new MRU in his area at all. He now gets called to all the crape jobs, night and day that the NSWFB Permanent Station next to his RFS station gats as well, with the NSWFB Permanent Crew responding, extinguishing the fire and then returning home before his own RFS Station even gets on the road, time he would prefer to spend still sleeping rather chasing some crappie little grass or rubbish fire.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

scanSydney
Site Admin

Post by scanSydney » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 am

Warringah had a decent one of the Wakehurst Parkway tonight. Was listening on 466.2000 for several hours, seemed to be rapidly growing at one stage, but then several units started to return home. Comms Brigade was activated too! All good now.