Llandilo fire

kevnerd486

Llandilo fire

Post by kevnerd486 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Bomber 132 going up to fight Llandilo fire, air ops on 130.550.

Scotty

Re: Llandilo fire

Post by Scotty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Noticed FRNSW using tones (hi-lo-hi-lo) to notify specific crews at this fire about nearby incidents. I can't say I've noticed this in use before, but it may just be something I've previously ignored. Is this tone heard by all crews, or is it directed to a specific mobile crew (similar to selcall) to gain their attention?

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I have heard it on the Region South talkgroups recently. only heard it the once though.
VK2MRC

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:17 am

The tone was also heard during the Mavis Street fire at Revesby yesterday too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:24 pm

The FRNSW Drome's have been around since about March or April . . . can't say I have seen or heard of it at any jobs . . . but then again . . . I work for a living lol.

I did read It's a brain child of a firefighter somewhere . . . a budget to operate and evaluate their usefulness at Jobs have been given, don't know what size Alarm Response triggers it's response . . . but do know that there use around bushfires and fire bombing aircraft has come under the microscope in recent years . . . so time will tell if they will become a regular sight at or around fire.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:29 pm

JAFO wrote:The FRNSW Drome's have been around since about March or April . . .
We mentioned TONES - not drones! Now that's a laugh!

Are you able to shed any light JAFO on the recent use of the tones that we've been hearing?

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:00 am

Scotty wrote:
JAFO wrote:The FRNSW Drome's have been around since about March or April . . .
We mentioned TONES - not drones! Now that's a laugh!

Are you able to shed any light JAFO on the recent use of the tones that we've been hearing?
Yeah OK . . . No F#%* Idea how I got Drones from Tones . . . bugger . . . and I go back to work tomorrow after 5 weeks off . . . might be time to go on holidays again.

Scotty . . . No idea about the Tones . . . even though I've been off for 5 weeks, I have never heard over the FireComm or FireGround Radio anything that sounds like Tones apart from the Old Tone Pagers 20 odd years ago . . . and to tell you the truth . . . . I hope we bloody don't . . . . there's enough crap we have to listen too now we have this comm's crap in our helmets . . . last thing we want is bloody Tone Sounds being bashed into our ears with these helmet systems
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 am

No worries. From my listening the tones were used to alert then dispatch crews in the field who were near a new urgent incident. As an example, firecom would sound the tones (hi lo hi lo) then call a specific pumper. The pumper would reply, then firecom would advise them that GPS shows they are the closest to a new incident (ie a house reported alight from the bushfire) and would request they respond.

It appeared to work well (from a listeners perspective at least) for 2 reasons:
- it alerted all crews to a pressing new incident (during an already pressing operation) which increased situational awareness
- it saved firecom broadcasting for any available crews and allowed free/unallocated resources to be quickly alerted then tasked.

Air490

Post by Air490 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Newcastle were doing this during the Cessnock fires a week or so ago. The only issue seemed to be appliances on the way to the marshaling point self- responding to the urgent incidents because they were nearby or going to drive past the location.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Ok guys !!! Kev, Scotty and others . . . given I've been on holidays for the past 5 weeks and relocated in August . . . these's Tones . . . did you hear them on the GRN or Fire Ground Channels?

Have a maybe thought . . .
JAFO
VK2FGQ