Vale Bob Bell

kevnerd486

Vale Bob Bell

Post by kevnerd486 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:59 pm

All,

Just read in Australian Aviation that Bob Bell Passed away in early June. Bob wrote for AA and CB Action (in its many reboots). He was also a Amateur Radio operator, although I hadn't heard him on air for many years. In the pre internet days he was a source of valuable information for people interested in airband monitoring. He was only 66, very sad.

Regards

Kev

rustynswrail

Re: Vale Bob Bell

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:45 pm

kevnerd486 wrote:All, Just read in Australian Aviation that Bob Bell Passed away in early June. Bob wrote for AA and CB Action (in its many reboots). He was also a Amateur Radio operator, although I hadn't heard him on air for many years. In the pre internet days he was a source of valuable information for people interested in airband monitoring. He was only 66, very sad. Regards Kev
Bob and I were friends for 34 years. I first made his acquaintance in 1982 while working at VKG Sydney. I introduced him to the dark art of scanning, he previously had only used tune-able radios to listen to the airband.

He passed away while filming the Indian Pacific train, something again that I introduced him to. His love of the IP was second only to aircraft and airband monitoring.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend his funeral as I was interstate and committed to other things. Several from this forum did and I am informed that it was a fitting send off for a popular radio, aircraft and rail enthusiast, as well as a dedicated family man.

I cannot count the number of times I have thought, in that last few weeks, about ringing Bob and having a chat. A loss to all...

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

cartman

Post by cartman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:47 pm

I can recall one particular series of articles he wrote (under a non de plume) in CB action in the late 80s/early 90s where he gave Australia Wonderland a workover over their use of secret 10-codes and ride locations discussed on their radios . There werent many secrets left by the end of the articles
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 pm

That's real sad. I didn't know.

I read his articles and frequented his website for years knowing that the information was always spot on.

RIP Bob.