Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

cartman

Re: Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

Post by cartman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:38 am

From what i recall reading elsewhere I think the railways supplied a large percentage of the money for the push out west in the late 90's when the infrastructure arm was known as RSA (Rail Services Australia).
Likewise when the ACT wanted the GRN after the bushfires in 2003 there was a push for the south to be connected.
From what Richard said the north coast requires about 70-80 sites ie much larger than the south .... will require a much large committment $ to complete.
Obviously not a priority at the moment

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Grant,

There may have been rail money but the push out past Dubbo to thriving metropoli like Collarenabri & Lightning Ridge was NSW Ambos- they needed money for mobile data & voice so the money from that went towards GRN expansion. I bet they never factored in the lifetime maintenance cost which would be enormous.

Police estimated 70-80 minimum from Taree to the border (including Tenterfield), but there was a thought to just do the far north from Lismore/Ballina to the border. Given that a big chunk of the cost is backhaul, the thought was to take it back to Brisbane & then pipe it down to Sydney. The Queensland GRN has potential to at least reduce the cost of doing the far north by leveraging the backhaul costs. We will see.

Cheers,

Richard

Cheers,

Richard

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:59 pm

ivahri wrote:Grant, my only comment on that is that it will be interesting to see if Tait can put forward a competitive trunking proposal to compete with Moto. I don't want to whip the anti-Moto forces into a frenzy but I am yet to see any other vendor do more than talk about having the ability to implement the type & size of network we are going to be talking about with this. They do lots of talking- no doubt about that- but not sure that they can walk like they talk. Not knocking Tait at all- but large trunking systems are not their strong suit. There are other potential players- like Harris- but do they want to enter into what will be a tough bidding war with Moto?

But wouldn't it be great if they could start in the SE corner & expand into northern NSW with the aid of NSW money.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard,

this is already being done by Tait for Ergon Energy seems to be a good system, at present it is in the South West of Qld and expanding to the rest of Qld with the exception of SEQ
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks,

Do you know if the Tait Ergon system is supporting multiple vendor radios?

Cheers,

Richard

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Richard,

from my last chat with Ergon Telecommunications they haven't used anything other then Tait however i will have a chat to him and see if i can get a APX or XTS to connect to the system

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 am

ivahri wrote:Do you know if the Tait Ergon system is supporting multiple vendor radios?
Don't know if this answers your question, but the Mobiles are Tait, while the Repeaters are from Auria Wireless, possibly their Aurora AX420s.

--
Sigint

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 am

Yuck...

It would be interesting to see if the network is truly multi-vendor capable. I'm pretty sure that it should be even if the network radios are all Tait.

Cheers,

Richard

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:23 am

Richard,

had a chat to one of the techs yes it is multi vendor

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am

I once chatted to a tech that told me the GRN was going to be encrypted with Motorola AES-1056 encryption (which doesn't even exist)

My point is - take it with a grain of salt until the system integrator and vendors all agree and put in writing what is supported and what isn't ;)

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 pm

the Tech is the Telecommunications Group Manager for Ergon Energy so i will take it that it is.