2011 IPART Inquiry into Pricing of GRN Services

system_tech

Re: 2011 IPART Inquiry into Pricing of GRN Services

Post by system_tech » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm

There is a thing called "Whole of Goverment"! Individual agencies are not individual 'businesses"!

And who said that the Hospital would have to pay all of the cost of a GRN "extension" ... GCIO have funded shopping precinct coverage so a hospital would get on the list, if case was made.

Oh, yes, and such coverage would assist ambulance, are they not part of health?

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 pm

you are correct Grant, I know the GCIO have got a list of hospitals they are going to be rolling out repeaters to when funding becomes available.

with reference to you saying nsw ambos are part of nsw health, well if you listen to my former manager they are not part of nsw health what so ever they are another government department...

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 pm

ivahri wrote:you've drawn conclusions that only Tetra met their needs yet you have no evidence to support that view. I've already demonstrated how other agencies do what they have done using far cheaper, and perfectly acceptable, technologies.
There may well be cheaper options out there, I certainly wasn't spruking for TETRA. I was putting forward a view of mine that at the time the GRN didn't meet the requirements of that one user, and they choose a type of network that was more likely to.
ivahri wrote:So the RFS use paging as well as voice... so should RFS implement their own Tetra network? That would be stupid- but hey using your argument it would be OK.
No just the opposite Richard! By my argument the RFS should definately be on the GRN - they require wide area, predominently mobile, voice communications - exactly what the GRN was designed for. I certainly believe the RFS should be on the GRN. It's the small, local area users that I wonder about.
centralcoastscanman wrote:you are correct Grant, I know the GCIO have got a list of hospitals they are going to be rolling out repeaters to when funding becomes available.
I think that's good, money coming from a central pool, as opposed to being paid for by an individual user, especially when it will likely be used by many.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Scotty,

You previously wrote: "If JHH only required a voice system then certainly upgrading the GRN in the hospital would have been the way to go. But they required more." My mention of the RFS was pertinent as they have their own paging services plus use the GRN. How is JHH's needs any different? Have you really thought about all of the ongoing costs & responsibilities that apply to operating a radio system? I assume that JHH is paying someone to provide 24/7 monitoring & response on this system? The GRN has that- and it is a cost built in to the network charges. What kind of maintenance contract is in place? I know how much these cost- and they aren't cheap. Howabout the ACMA charges? I assume JHH are paying for those? All of these costs that keep coming year in year out could have been shared with the other network users- if only they chose to use the GRN. Instead JHH (read: NSW taxpayers) will have to pay these extra costs... I'm willing to bet that they don't have 24/7 monitoring, and I doubt they have a maintenance contract- and if Liverpool Hospital is anything to go by I wonder how long they will bother to pay the ACMA licences!

It is nuts Scotty & I'm stuffed to understand why you choose to try to justify it.

Cheers,

Richard

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Richard,

alot of the hospitals do not pay for 24x7 monitoring, they just have a 8x5 or even less monitoring and only ring their radio company when it breaks...

I agree grn has 24x7 monitoring so thats excellent value for money in just that alone, as most private companies would find it hard to be able to provide the same level of service the grn helpdesk does for a price govt departments would be willing to pay..

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Further to the original paper, look what I have found ....

1. The whole of Government response
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... HFJQMKMeIQ

2. Motorola's response
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... IKY5AbnFWw

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Grant,

Thanks, I hadn't read those...

What has surprised me is how the media has not picked up on the great big new tax (no, not the even bigger new tax) on NSW insurance premiums that is now imposed to pay for ALL emergency services radio services as a result of this. Putting aside who I work for, as a taxpayer I am disgusted by the way in which a state government can sneak through what is blatantly a tax under the guise of a rise on insurance levies. The state government could no longer care how much radio services cost because it is now fully funded by others... like you & me. Another little one of Kristina's little sneaky tricks passed just before she left- not that the new government are complaining.

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:19 pm

vk2pwsham
Location: Somewhere still not high enough in the Mid Blue Mts!

Post by vk2pwsham » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:44 pm

should of read it when going to bed!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:51 pm

I just had a (very) large cuppa...

Page 15 lists a 2875% increase in costs to the RFS, 605% increase to the SES, 196% increase to the ambos and 279% increase to the firies.

Just for those 4 services it's an increase of $11 million! Surely that can't be right, those types of figures are just crazy.