Grn Towers

Adapad

Grn Towers

Post by Adapad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:25 pm

I am having some problems with my 396xt I don't receive my closest tower anymore.
But on my old 996t I can still receive it any ideas ?

rustynswrail

Re: Grn Towers

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:33 pm

The obvious answer is the 396XT has a problem. Not knowing what your antenna configuration is, check the pins in the SMA, are they still there?

Was the 396XT new when purchased, or was it second hand? Was it working when purchased?

Do you have a multimeter? With Ohms selected put the black probe on the out edge of the antenna socket, with the red on the centre. You should see on 200k ohms a reading of around 3.3. If not then it is possible the centre wire inside the radio has broken. Any other reading may mean other troubles.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Adapad

Grn Towers

Post by Adapad » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:10 am

I purchased the scanner new Russel it's all there I'm not the only person I spoke to some media guys with 396xt and they are as well having these problems on the central coast with grn , it's started last week reception is poor.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Without knowing specific circumstances it is difficult to say why the 396XT is not performing as it should. What type of antenna are you using? If it is the one supplied with the scanner, then throw it away and purchase a better one. Something like a dual band ham antenna. If it is an external antenna is it connected to the same antenna as the 996T? If so are you using a splitter? I mean a proper splitter not just a T piece.

Beyond that there is two other scenarios, one the scanner and those used by the 'media guys' are defective. I doubt it somehow.

The other is that the GRN has been compromised somehow in your area.

R
Last edited by rustynswrail on Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Garry

Post by Garry » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 pm

I don't know about GRN problems on the Central Coast, I'm picking up those sites all OK here
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Adapad

Post by Adapad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:27 am

It's working back to normal Saturday morning all good thanks guys

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Adapad, do you have the alternate CC channels programmed as well? The sites may have switched to the alternate CC for some reason, which may have caused your issue over that weekend. The Beecroft site has been operating off it's alternate channels for sometime now, may have been the same up the coast?

news

Post by news » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Adapad, if you ever have an issue with receiving the GRN where signal was previously fine then has degraded and lasts more than a couple hours, you can bet 100% that it's your own gear. The network has extensive remote monitoring and down time SLA's. very rapid repairs are undertaken when flags are raised...........

Adapad

Post by Adapad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah guys I had a faulty aerial my bad