Waterproof Icom radio

freqwaves

Waterproof Icom radio

Post by freqwaves » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm

I went & saw Piranha 3D at the movies the other night (I would not recommend see it,bit of B grade acting).In one of the scenes a young guy dives under a boat with a Icom handheld,straps a flare to the radio to use as a charge to blow up the boat after releasing the gas from the LPG gas cylinders.
Does Icom make a fully sumersible waterproof radio or was this just done for the movie?
(In other words it was bullshit idea)
John.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Waterproof Icom radio

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm

I kind of feel like a mythbuster here... "MYTH CONFIRMED"... well maybe "PLAUSIBLE" anyway?

I have a couple of IC-F40GT handhelds and I can't say I've ever felt the inclination to test them but yes, they are intrinsically safe (Nonincendive Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C and D hazardous locations (with the appropriate battery fitted)) and MIL spec'd (810C, D, E, F and G) which means they're waterproof, shock-proof, dust-proof, vibration-proof and just about every other kind of proof!

It's been a while since I've had one apart (mainly playing with bat gear these days) but from memory they are well sealed, I believe they have a waterproof gland type of thing which was bright orange and fairly impressive-looking which sealed off all the knobs and buttons inside (if I'm thinking of the right radio), I also remember that they're an absolute mongrel of a thing to work on compared to the Moto XTS range too!

Of course I can't say this was the model used in the movie as I haven't seen it (and probably won't either), there are some (much) cheaper iCOM handhelds that probably aren't waterproof and just exactly how you'd go about rigging one up to a detonator without compromising the aforementioned waterproofness I wouldn't know? You probably could McGyver one up to hold out the water just long enough to get clear but then of course, ultra high frequency radio waves don't tend to travel too far underwater anyway!

Andrew

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 am

Probably one of their marine VHF models. A number of manufacturers make water proof marine radios now.

gus289

Post by gus289 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:11 pm

The IC-M35 Icom say it is Waterproof/Submersible (IPX7) (1m depth, 30min.) and it even floats.www.icom-australia.com/products/marine/ ... c-m35.html

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys,interesting to know that there is one that is waterproof.

John.

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Without looking at the Icom website I think there is another marine radio which is waterproof but doesn't float
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 pm

I can think of a few unpleasant things I've seen lately that are yellow and float...