DAB+ Broadcast Service

kevnerd486

DAB+ Broadcast Service

Post by kevnerd486 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 am

Hi Guys,

Anyone on here bought a Digital Broadcast Radio yet? I listen to a lot of AM and FM broadcast radio and although AM reception (702) is ok in the Hawkesbury but some of the FM stations are a bit weak. I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Digital service and have any recommendations of a good portable to purchase.

Regards

Kev

Chrisco

Re: DAB+ Broadcast Service

Post by Chrisco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Yeah I have one havealook at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQdb6fMQBw
I am waiting with bated breath for a car head unit.
Speaking to one of the car audio blokes at this years boat show back in augest I think it was fusion the guy said DAB+ car head units are at lest 2 years away.
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

E=MC2

Post by E=MC2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 am

Gday, I was one of the stupid people who bought one of the DAB series one radios for $499 and have been screwed as these radio's will not work on new system DAB+. DAB+ reception is not very good in a lot of the GSB - Greater Sydney Basin even a lot of the Northern Beaches has no DAB+ reception at all this is due to the low number of txing sites. Also from what I have read in Silicon Chip Magazine and other tech type forums DAB+ in the car is going to be a problem for the same reason as above. I will not be getting a DAB+ radio till I am able to get a service like WRN - formerly World Radio Network. WRN has a great list of international broadcaster like VOA - Voice Of America, Radio Netherlands, Radio Sweden, Radio Canada International, Radio France Internationale, Channel Africa, Radio Prague, Radio Sweden, Vatican Radio, Israel Radio, Radio New Zealand, each broadcaster has one hour a day in english and this is a great look at the world from these countries each day. I am 99.9% sure that this type of broadcasting on DAB+ in Australia will not happen in my life time and I plan to be here for a long time having a good time. So from what I have heard is being broadcast I will not be rushing out to buy a DAB+ radio any time soon and I am a radio enthusiast as 99.99999% of the people who are members of this group are. So this my story. 73z Richard E=MC2

criten

Post by criten » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:31 pm

DAB+ is only available in metro areas at present, on commercial stations.

It will be 10 years, at least, before we see DAB+ in regional areas and on community stations (ie. the bulk of stations on digital).

Most these stations already broadcast digitally, on the Internet - and you can listen to that for free.

I believe any major breakthrough with DAB+ that will see everyone rush out and buy new radios... will be the introduction of satellite broadcasts (Mode 2 & Mode 4) - so that a station can be received across Australia.

There does not seem to be any point buying a receiver just yet. Unless you're really keen on the idea and understand the above.

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 pm

why listen to DAB+ when we have our scanners! :)
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG