NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

citabria
Site Admin

NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

Post by citabria » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm

I have seen this article doing the rounds on social media lately so I thought I would share here.. Of note the NSW Police get a mention - maybe they will finally get a nice little push to join the GRN :)

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nsw-govt ... aul-465721

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 pm

The project kicked off with a $9.2 million pilot integrating 10 existing networks across 25 sites, which ran until January this year.
Sounds like the CCEP pilot in the north-west is done & dusted, time for that road trip Wonky!

So I wonder, did the police actually move to the GRN in the north-west during the pilot? Doesn't seem like it would've been a valid trial if they didn't.
The rollout will begin on the north coast of NSW, the government said. It has estimated the total cost of the program at $190 million.
Future road trip? We'll have to keep an eye on the ACMA for these sites, there are already a heap of single frequency registrations up the North Coast, I'm guessing a lot of these same sites will be expanded upon?

Andrew

cartman

Post by cartman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Will the pilot program be GRN Phase 2??

Mike

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I'd be very surprised if any new sites / upgrades weren't phase II? Can you even buy infrastructure that isn't these days?

AFAIK all Motorola APX family radios are TDMA capable (don't know about any other brands), but some agencies are still using VERY old radios that aren't, and ALL radios on a talkgroup (per site) have to be phase II or the talkgroup reverts to phase I.

If it was me, I'd only be programming TDMA radios with the GRN profiles, that way you ensure that all your radio traffic is phase II (where available), but the problem is that you still have different agencies programming the radios to those doing the networks, and cooperation isn't necessarily guaranteed.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 am

Bigfella237 wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I'd be very surprised if any new sites / upgrades weren't phase II?
That's what I found interesting about all the articles I've read, the technical detail is avoided. The best they could manage was "enhanced GRN"

With so many agencies being squeezed onto each site, 6.25KHz spaced channels would be the obvious way to go.

Mike

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am

P25 Phase II is more than just narrowbanding. The original Project 25 Phase I standard used FDMA (Frequency Division Multiple Access), which is just a fancy way of saying each "talk path" (or channel/talkgroup/mode, whichever you like to call them) uses a unique frequency.

The newer P25 Phase II (along with DMR (aka MotoTRBO), TETRA, etc.) employs TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access), which allows multiple talk paths on the SAME frequency, but now divided by time "slots". IIRC, P25 and DMR have two time slots per frequency, and TETRA has four time slots per frequency.

The huge advantage is that one "base" (aka repeater, the actual hardware at the site) can now handle two distinct talk paths, so a five base GRN site switched from P25 Phase I to Phase II instantly becomes a virtual ten base site. Twice as much bang for your buck!

But the caveat, as I mentioned above, is that EVERY radio affiliated with each talkgroup on a site must be operating on TDMA, if even one radio jumps on and says "I'm too old for this shit" then every radio on that talkgroup must also drop back to FDMA (one talk path per base), kinda like gearing something to the lowest common denominator.

So there is a definite advantage in ensuring all the radios on your network are TDMA capable, such as the QLDGWN, where (I believe) they aren't allowing agencies to use any pre-TDMA radio equipment whatsoever, the benefit to the network provider is that they only have to build the infrastructure with half the resources that they'd need if they had older radios being used, like the NSWGRN.

Andrew

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am

Mike Alpha wrote:With so many agencies being squeezed onto each site, 6.25KHz spaced channels would be the obvious way to go.Mike
P25 Phase 2 transmissions are still physically 12.5khz wide... It's just that you can fit two users in one 12.5kHz channel.

The marketing weenies manage to confuse the issue by inventing a new term "6.25e" or 6.25 equivalent - which doesn't really convey the fact that a phase 2 transmission is still 12.5khz wide..

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 am

citabria wrote:
Mike Alpha wrote:With so many agencies being squeezed onto each site, 6.25KHz spaced channels would be the obvious way to go.Mike
P25 Phase 2 transmissions are still physically 12.5khz wide... It's just that you can fit two users in one 12.5kHz channel.

The marketing weenies manage to confuse the issue by inventing a new term "6.25e" or 6.25 equivalent - which doesn't really convey the fact that a phase 2 transmission is still 12.5khz wide..
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that. So TDMA is the key then?

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Yep - two slot TDMA is part of the key - the other part is the "half rate" AMBE2+ vocoder that only requires half the bandwidth of the Phase 2 IMBE vocoder.

Each 20ms slice of voice in Phase One IMBE requires 88 bits. Each 20ms slice of voice in Phase Two AMBE2+ only needs 49 bits.

There is a noticeable loss in voice quality in Phase 2 - much the same as comparing DMR to P25 Phase One.

Cheers,
Matt