NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

Wonky

Re: NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

Post by Wonky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:
Sounds like the CCEP pilot in the north-west is done & dusted, time for that road trip Wonky!
Andrew
Mmm not sure on the road trip just yet Andrew (having been to some of the towns in that area, I only want to be doing the trip once :shock: ).

In the Council Pack pdf that Cartman posted (second last page), it says "We anticipate construction work taking place between July and September 2016."

It will be interesting to see if the RFS go over before the 2017 fire season if they stay on schedule.

Adapad

Post by Adapad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Wonky wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote:
Sounds like the CCEP pilot in the north-west is done & dusted, time for that road trip Wonky!
Andrew
Mmm not sure on the road trip just yet Andrew (having been to some of the towns in that area, I only want to be doing the trip once :shock: ).

In the Council Pack pdf that Cartman posted (second last page), it says "We anticipate construction work taking place between July and September 2016."

It will be interesting to see if the RFS go over before the 2017 fire season if they stay on schedule.
Wonky

They the RFS are well overdue for another upgrade I don't see them going over for another 12 months to 2 years

Macca

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:30 pm

That is what I was thinking Macca, it is one thing to have the sites installed in two to three months, but how long will it take for the subscribers to be installed and the users trained correctly...copy so far :roll:

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Wonky wrote:"We anticipate construction work taking place between July and September 2016."
Obviously some of these are documents were written some time ago, but that says they anticipated everything would be up'n running 9 months ago (September last year), and another document again said the trial in the north-west was completed in January this year (2017).

I assumed the announcement that the funds had been allocated in the recent state budget meant the reports had been submitted and the funding approved for the next stage, which is apparently the North Coast?

Andrew

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Does the following therefore mean that the GRN in Sydney as it is today will be around for another 4 years?

08. HOW LONG WILL THE PROGRAM TAKE?
The state wide Program is forcast to be completed over 4 years.
This includes:
1 year for state wide preliminary design
2 years for detailed design and construction
1 year for user migration
6 months for decommissioning surplus assets

Mike

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Assume you're talking about the decommissioning part at the end, Mike?

I believe they're talking about decommissioning all the other network infrastructure, like removing all the individual agency's dPMR networks etc.?

At least that's how I read it.

Andrew

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:16 am

Bigfella237 wrote:Assume you're talking about the decommissioning part at the end, Mike?
Andrew
No mate, more about the '1 year for state wide preliminary design' + '2 years for detailed design and construction' + '1 year for user migration" The CCEP FAQ says "In early 2017, the NSW Government will decide the progress of the Program"

I really thought Phase II was a year or so away. I know some people were scrambling to buy PII capable scanners in anticipation.

I think the 4th "migration" year will be interesting with so many agencies having to simulcast for a while and then the big switch over day. I hope I'll still be around when it happens... :(

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

NSW Gov to spend $178m on communications upgrades

Post by citabria » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Simulcast? Nooo....

Phase 2 talkgroups fall back to Phase One (system wide) the moment a single Phase One radio joins that talkgroup.

So really, no one gets the efficiency benefits until all of an agencies radios are Phase 2.

Sadly, the people planning the system don't have a clue about things such as this....

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:57 am

Ah my apologies, I thought the fallback to Phase I was only on each individual site where a non-Phase II radio affiliates, I don't really understand why it would have to drop back across the entire system?

Andrew

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 am

citabria wrote:Simulcast? Nooo....
In simulcast, I mean both the current GRN and the new P2 will be patched to the operator consoles in the lead up to the migration. I would guess the new radios will have both GRN systems programmed in different zones and on switch over day each agency will have to just switch to the new zone.

Mike