Time to trim the membership list

cartman

Time to trim the membership list

Post by cartman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I have brought this up once before (possibly on the old scan nsw forum) and recall get a pasting for even suggesting it.
We have currently 309 members but to date 168 (or 54%) have yet to post even once
While some are recent additions, there are dozens and dozens of folk who havent signed in for a long time and contributed zip - nothing
I really do think it is time for a trim down
It would also be nice to get a few more folk active

Grant
Last edited by cartman on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Time to trim the membership list

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm

I agree about getting more folk active, but what's the point of deleting user accounts?

Not condemning nor approving of the idea, just wondering what the advantage of doing this would be?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Just a thought, but it would be good if it were like the Aurfscan forum and a few other where you had to have a few posts on board to gain features instead of just signing up and having free will to all the info.
That would probably gain a bit of activity instead of the leaching that goes on.
Just a thought?
Cheers
M
VK2MRC

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:04 am

That is a good point Matt about membership privileges .... higher level user groups (there is provision already for that)
It is not trying to be elitist but giving encouragement to become active as a contributer

I was originally in conversation with somebody this week (who belongs to this forum) about the scanning scene in general, where it was heading etc and it was this person who brought up the issue of the non-active folk on the forum
Checked it out and came up with the 54% figure
It is worse on Aussie Scanners (approximately 75% of the plus 5000 members have never posted)
Last edited by cartman on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:

news

Post by news » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:49 am

you might find that a few members have multiple accounts.....

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 am

news wrote:you might find that a few members have multiple accounts.....
I think you have two that I know of (berryv was the other one)
Scanners:
Software:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 pm

All depends on what the admins consider a 'member'.

If a 'member' is simply someone who signs up, even if they never do nothing more, then so be it.

If a 'member' is considered to be someone who needs to log in, or post, on a pre-determined basis, then trim away.

I've always had the view that the number of members listed on a forum should, in some way, represent the number of people who one would expect to participate in some way - even if that is only logging on and reading posts without replying. It gives users of a forum an indication of how many people they are posting to and what type of response may be received.

I doubt even half of the 309 current members would have logged on at anytime in the recent past. Considering the above, I would think it reasonable that anybody who doesn't log on in say 2 years be culled in order to more accurately reflect true member numbers.

news

Post by news » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:02 pm

cartman wrote:
news wrote:you might find that a few members have multiple accounts.....
I think you have two that I know of (berryv was the other one)
On the right track, 3 more to go ;/

https://www.purevpn.com/ :)

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I think we have lost alot of members since radio systems went digital & the police went encrypted.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

freqwaves wrote:I think we have lost alot of members since radio systems went digital & the police went encrypted.
I think you are correct there.

My brother in-law was asking about the services switching over to digital in the Albury area 12 months ago, stating he had friends asking about digital and what you could hear. Once I told a couple of his mates none of the current digital scanners would pickup the Police encryption system, none were willing to spend the big bucks just to listen to the Ambo's or Firies . . . so yeah for majority of the users out there who only switch on the scanner and start to listen when they see a Police car or Ambulance fly by . . . near 90% of those I think you could say are lost.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT