cartman

Ballarat Police and social media

Post by cartman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Apparently appeared this morning

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2106 ... tes/?cs=62

I dont know about social media but actual scanners sites, doubt it
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Scotty

Re: Ballarat Police and social media

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm thinking a loud bark but no bite. The cops may have a valid point from a 'community decency' point of view about the specific information posted on site, but there is no law restricting it from being posted.

Will be interested to see if it goes further.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

I always get a laugh whenever I see or hear the term "Police scanner", like when did my scanner stop picking up everybody else?

Egomaniac much?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi all,
As a admin of one of these pages I moderate carefully on what gets posted. We had a incident here about 2 years ago and names got bandied about and everyone had an opinion on what happened. subsequently we copped some pretty severe commentry for it. I learned a lot from that and subsequently we had a incident recently and the admins monitored closely what was posted. I actually spoke to one of the family members via PM and kept the details very tight.
I can see both sides of the story the police obviously dont want everything to be posted that comes across the radio but the public have the right i feel to know if something major happens, look at Thursday and the 8 month old being taken and the car stolen, that went across social media like wildfire and the police were asking for help to share it around and keep a lookout.
The admins of these pages need to keep good discretion about them. Sometimes its better not to post too much detail, I'm sure i wouldn't want to find out a loved one had passed on in a MVA on Facebook before the '4 o'clock knock'.

I laugh too at the term 'Police Scanner' theres plenty more a 396Xt can listen to apart from the Police, some are just buying them round my way to listen to the RFS only.
My 2c worth
Cheers
VK2MRC