Using handheld radio while driving

freqwaves

Using handheld radio while driving

Post by freqwaves » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Does anyone know if there is any law against using a handheld radio while driving?
With the new laws out on holding a mobile phone while driving I wondered if the police would consider it unsafe also?
With some portable handhelds nearly as small as a mobile phone you could be mistaken for having a phone to your head.
Did not find anything on the RMS website.

Thanks, John.

rustynswrail

Re: Using handheld radio while driving

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 pm

freqwaves wrote:Does anyone know if there is any law against using a handheld radio while driving?
With the new laws out on holding a mobile phone while driving I wondered if the police would consider it unsafe also?
With some portable handhelds nearly as small as a mobile phone you could be mistaken for having a phone to your head.
Thanks, John.
John,

Last time I had anything to with this, it was not an offence. However if push was to come to shove, you could be breached for Neg Drive. Doing something that a reasonable and prudent driver would not do.

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

lxth7

Post by lxth7 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/do ... es2012.pdf
page 25. You got to be a lawyer to understand some of it.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:25 pm

rustynswrail wrote:
freqwaves wrote:Does anyone know if there is any law against using a handheld radio while driving?
Thanks, John.
John,

Last time I had anything to with this, it was not an offence. However if push was to come to shove, you could be breached for Neg Drive. Doing something that a reasonable and prudent driver would not do.

Russell
Think you might be right there Rusty. I think if i remember correctly if your involved in an MVA and the fact you were using a radio of some sort was a contributing factor to the crash then you might fine yourself up for a Neg Driving ticket.

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks guys,just read the paragraph "mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two-way
radio."

John.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Hmm... I'd be interested to see someone talk their way out of using an XTS4000 while driving! ;)

Andrew