Congratulations Garry

matthewn1983

Congratulations Garry

Post by matthewn1983 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

from the Newcastle Star (29-03-2013)

QUIET about his achievements, Tingira Heights resident Garry Luxton was formally recognised for his ongoing contributions to the NSW State Emergency Services last month by the federal government.

Awarded the National Medal, Mr Luxton was one of many to receive recognition for the tireless work he and the SES crew do - namely protecting lives and properties in the community while facing great personal risk.

For the past 26 years, Mr Luxton has been a key part of ensuring the community has been protected and alerted during extreme weather events.

The Newcastle SES operations officer was formerly the Newcastle branch's media officer, where he has volunteered since 2003.

Mr Luxton joined the SES when he was in high school in 1987, at Lake Macquarie Boolaroo's branch.

During his service, Mr Luxton has assisted with the Newcastle earthquake, countless storms and flooding events locally, as well as being deployed across NSW to assist other SES units in their times of need.

His volunteer duties include teaching SES members how to use the radio communications.

But the biggest portion of his time is dedicated to informing the public of unfolding events and how to protect themselves and their homes during storms.

"During large storms when other volunteers are out in the elements assisting the community, I am in the operations room helping to co-ordinate the teams, and passing information to them via the two-way radio network."

"Last year alone I travelled 28 times by helicopter and plane to ensure the on-the-ground workers were up-to-date with what was occurring."

Mr Luxton said it was great to be awarded the medal and he was proud to be a volunteer.

He said helping people in their time of need kept him going.

http://www.newcastlestar.com.au/story/1 ... e/?cs=1535

Garry

Re: Congratulations Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:53 pm

hey,, I think I know that bloke LOL
Happily Scanning Since 1983