Private weather station network

cartman

Private weather station network

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm

From time to time on the internet I have come across a number of private weather stations. Weather Underground seems to have successfully accomplished the difficult task of meshing all those sites into one global real time synoptic report, overlaid with real-time weather radar.

Quality control is a minor issue (like yesterday's 49 at Quakers Hill ... maybe 3 deg too higher) but overall seems to be a great aid to the amateur weather buff. Most of the readings seem consistent with the official locations. From time to time the official BOM reports get added with the private data, so it can be very interesting to see the progress of a wind change, like yesterday sea breeze pushing inland against the record-breaking heat

I am overall impressed, especially at a local weather level

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Used with the comprehensive 1 hour digital synoptic analysis that Australian Weather News produces from official data, it can make for an instructive view of real time weather.

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Private weather station network

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

cartman wrote: ~ (like yesterday's 49 at Quakers Hill ... maybe 3 deg too higher) ~ Grant
I confirmed with three different weather stations locally that we where just decimal points away from 50°C down the coast here yesterday, but I'm not saying that reading from QH was accurate; the thing that's not standardized is the physical setup of the station, if you were to mount it above a corrugated iron roof without enough separation for example, you will of course get higher than normal temperature readings.

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi all, Another one to try is www.weatherlink.com there are a few of them in my area and surrounds.
cheers all
Matt
VK2MRC

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for that
Beats me why we dont have a weather station in every school in every state.
We would have an incredible network of information as well as being educational
On second thoughts vandalism i suspect is probably why not

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi all, Yeah great idea although i spoke to the guy that looks after Davis instruments in this region, says there is a lot involved to install a weather station to the standard. something like a 200 page doco to satisfy the BoM. probably cost being another factor i heard one being installed cost about 3 grand.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:10 am

My weather station is on that site

INEWSOUT87

as well as being broadcast on 145.175Mhz on the APRS network

Regards

Kev