Cockroach poo.

Mike Alpha

Cockroach poo.

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Anyone know the best way to remove baked on cockroach poo off a circuit board?

The Dishwasher has been playing up so I pulled the front face off and found evidence of cockroaches squatting in the control module. (A crappy design if it allows cockroaches to get in from the handle assembly - Dishlex pffft!). There is hard, baked on crap all over some SMD components and a few chips so I don't want to chisel it off.

I tried some spray-on solvent from Jaycar and it did nothing. I've tried a tooth brush and it gets a bit off but not the hard stuff. I even tried WD40 and left it to soak, and still nothing.

I'm hoping to find a safe solvent that will dissolve the crap and let me just wipe it off. :?

Mike

soupbones

Re: Cockroach poo.

Post by soupbones » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Try some eucalyptus oil. Dab on a cotton ball and soak the poos first.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 pm

soupbones wrote:Try some eucalyptus oil. Dab on a cotton ball and soak the poos first.
Thanks soup. But out of frustration I risked using good old hydroxylic acid ;) . A bit rubbed in with a soft toothbrush turned the poo to mud and I was able to wipe it away. A blow with a hair dryer and some circuit spray afterwards made the PCB sparkle.

Dishwasher back to normal. :)

Mike

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 am

Must be the month for dishwashers to crap out... Wish mine was a simple fix like that. Time to get a new one I think.

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Cockcroach poo will destroy circuit boards & cause a corrosion over time.Surprising it is still working at the moment.

John.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Lizard piss is worse...

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 pm

soupbones wrote:Must be the month for dishwashers to crap out... Wish mine was a simple fix like that. Time to get a new one I think.
That's what the service centre told me when I rang them to fix the dishwasher - too expensive to fix, just buy a new one. The other problem it had was a faulty door handle. As I pulled the door apart to see if the handle was broken, I found the poo problem on the control board. The handle was broken and I couldn't find it anywhere but this place in Sydney - http://www.dougsmithspares.com.au/index.htm- they had 8 in stock. $45 for the handle and a clean of the PCB has revived the dishwasher. :D <-wife
freqwaves wrote:Cockcroach poo will destroy circuit boards & cause a corrosion over time.Surprising it is still working at the moment.
I used a powerfull magnifying glass to go over the board after I removed the poo and I didnt notice any corrosion on the soldering or the SMD resistors and capacitors. Fingers crossed...

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 am

Awesome.

Scanning in Sydney has clearly reached an all time low.

:mrgreen: