DTS-96 Digital TG Issues?

kevnerd486

DTS-96 Digital TG Issues?

Post by kevnerd486 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:08 am

Mike Alpha wrote:But I'm worried about one thing with the DTS 96. Mine seems to have trouble receiving digital trunked transmissions on the 3600 GRN. I'm not 100% certain of this because there are so few digital transmissions at the moment, but there have been times when my 996T is receiving digital talk groups on a site and the DTS96 isn't. I recall I could program the digital TG ID and then it will receive it, but in open mode, it wouldn't stop on a digital TG. Let me know if you experience this.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I don’t think its just a DTS96 issue as I’m pretty sure I saw this happen with my now departed PRO-96. I would have it in the shack scanning Kurrajong GRN and a 780 doing the same thing. The 780 would stop on a Dig TG (of course receiving just noise) and the PRO-96 would merrily scan away not picking up a thing.

Lets see if any one else has noticed this and try to figure out what’s happening.

Regards

Kev

centralcoastscanman

Re: DTS-96 Digital TG Issues?

Post by centralcoastscanman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 am

I'd have to agree there, as i know when i borrowed some grn radios from the gcio for work i took one home and when i was chatting to work my pro96 would not pickup the digital talkgroup... whereas when i programmed it in manually and let it sit on the talkgroup it worked aok

i own a pro96 imported from the us not one of the DTS96...

kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:54 pm

OK, did some testing today and this is what I found:

I programmed my new DTS-96 with Bank 1 set up with GRN Kurrajong and in closed TG mode with a handful of known Dig TG’s. I then programmed bank 2 for Kurrajong but in open TG mode and no TG’s listed. Then for the next couple of hours hit lockout on any analogue TG that showed up in Bank 2. For the last couple of hours the scanner has been very quite with over 40 odd analogue TG locked out. Then bingo a Digi TG came active in bank 1, I locked bank 1 out and I then received it in bank 2 (the bank with out the Digi TG listed in memory). This worked consistently over the last couple of hours monitoring here at my office at work. So maybe what we thought was happening was just a signal strength issue between radios or something else but it does appear that the PRO/DTS-96 type scanners will stop on Digi TG while in scan even if they are not programmed in the memory. If that is the case its good news.

Regards

Kev

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:04 pm

kevnerd486 wrote:OK, did some testing today and this is what I found:

I programmed my new DTS-96 with Bank 1 set up with GRN Kurrajong and in closed TG mode with a handful of known Dig TG’s. I then programmed bank 2 for Kurrajong but in open TG mode and no TG’s listed. Then for the next couple of hours hit lockout on any analogue TG that showed up in Bank 2. For the last couple of hours the scanner has been very quite with over 40 odd analogue TG locked out. Then bingo a Digi TG came active in bank 1, I locked bank 1 out and I then received it in bank 2 (the bank with out the Digi TG listed in memory). This worked consistently over the last couple of hours monitoring here at my office at work. So maybe what we thought was happening was just a signal strength issue between radios or something else but it does appear that the PRO/DTS-96 type scanners will stop on Digi TG while in scan even if they are not programmed in the memory. If that is the case its good news.

Regards

Kev
Good work Kev. I feared it might need a firmware upgrade and I don't think that would ever happen. I now remember discussing the issue with Dave a while ago and he told me his PRO96 received digital TGs fine, but as I regain more of my memory, I recall I narrowed it down to the length of transmission before it locked on the digital TG. Very short digital overs were skipped, but when there was a lengthy transmission the DTS96 would eventually lock on to it. Good news indeed.

Mike