Issues With Memory When Programming P25 GRN

soupbones

Re: Issues With Memory When Programming P25 GRN

Post by soupbones » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Agreed Matt.
It is a bit over the top to jam evert TG for any users in your scanner, considering there is little chance you will hear them all in your home region. If you travel around the state then thats fair enough.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 am

jaskel wrote:
Scotty wrote:Yep I agree, a stupid restriction, but their are plenty of ways around it.

please elaborate

Oh and it is not proscan, it is now showing 250.

Proscan is a great peice of software and worth every dollar! I love it!
Proscan is alright - but for others, if you don't want to folk out the $50 use bcTool, a free program, which has all the same useful features like programming, logging, recording etc.

In regards to the talkgroups, it's as others were saying, just arranging them in a logical fashion. I have my 996T and 396T GRN files set up as follows:

- A local emergency system, which has the local emergency service talkgroups for my area (firies, ambos, RFS and SES). This system only has <10 talkgroups and is the main system I use to scan.

- A local system for all services, which has the local emergency service TG's above and other local service TG's (Corrections, local sheriff, Transit officers, etc). This system has <20 talkgroups and would be the second main system I scan.

- A 'search' system, which has all the known TG's which appear off my local sites, with the unwanted ones like integral, water etc locaked out. This system runs is 'search' mode and is used to pick up talkgroups which I don't have saved. This system ranges from 100-200 talkgroups.

- Individual systems set up with all talkgroups from each service, eg a system for firies, ambos, RFS, SES, Corrections, Sheriff, ferries, etc. These systems are rarely used but available if something big is happening with one service. In this system I have all the main control channels for Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and Bathurst/Lithgow areas (areas where I regularly travel).

I've used the above setup since I first got the 996T and 396T when they first came out, and haven't run into too mnay problems. It's all about finding what works best for you though.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:20 pm

A good way do doing it. This topic has come up countless times over the years. I am sure Russell has even done this one back in the old CB Action magazine days. I think dumping everything you can into a system file is not the way to do it at all, but arranging it in a way like Scotty has said is a much better alternative. These are many many different ways you can do this. The best way I find that I use, and many others use, particularly for the GRN, is to divide it into areas or regions. So for example, have a system set up for Sydney CBD and South. Then one for Sydney west. Then one for SW, then one for North, then one for Illawarra, then one for Central Coast, Newcastle, and so on and on....
Another way is to divide it into agencies, but this will tend to make up larger files full of stuff you may never ever hear anyway.
Another thing I always did, and I think this idea originally came from Russell back when he was writing for the magazines, was to always make up an emergency disaster file for your scanner, say in the even of any major emergency of any sort. This one requires some thinking as to what you would put into it, based on your location. So while you would also normally put in all the usual suspects, fire, ambos, SES, what ever, you would also look up and add in things such as say if you lived near an oil refinery, put their channels in, or airport security, or any other major security channels for those users who could be involved in some sort of disaster.

On software, I have tried most of them out, but I find the ARC Butel applications the best for a number of reasons. For one they have the best cut/copy and paste facilities as well as the best file importing features, which makes copying say a BC796D scanner file easy to import into a 996 file, but also Butel probably have the best software support. I know many people on this forum at one time of another have had to contact Gommert about something with Butel software, and I found he not only responded well, but if it was a bug, he fixed it very quickly and added it to an update so everyone had the fix ASAP. Thats also why he is still the only one making software for the DTS96.

So I would recommend Butel software over all.

jaskel

Post by jaskel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I do alot of driving so i need to jam em all in...its all good, getting the 996XT and all problems sorted!
Uniden UBCD996XT - Uniden UBCD396XT - Realistic Pro96 - Uniden UBC 120XLT - Uniden RH96 Remote Head - Scanheads Discone - Rh771,701 Whips - GME TX3420 - Icom ICR310 - Icom IC410F

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 pm

yeah so do i, i still sectorise everything.
i dont think getting a 996XT will solve your problem, just means you can get more in which means the scanner has to scan more stuff and the trade off is missing stuff thats active.
anyway each to their own.
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

soupbones wrote:A good way do doing it. This topic has come up countless times over the years. I am sure Russell has even done this one back in the old CB Action magazine days. I think dumping everything you can into a system file is not the way to do it at all, but arranging it in a way like Scotty has said is a much better alternative. These are many many different ways you can do this. The best way I find that I use, and many others use, particularly for the GRN, is to divide it into areas or regions. So for example, have a system set up for Sydney CBD and South. Then one for Sydney west. Then one for SW, then one for North, then one for Illawarra, then one for Central Coast, Newcastle, and so on and on....
Another way is to divide it into agencies, but this will tend to make up larger files full of stuff you may never ever hear anyway.
Another thing I always did, and I think this idea originally came from Russell back when he was writing for the magazines, was to always make up an emergency disaster file for your scanner, say in the even of any major emergency of any sort. This one requires some thinking as to what you would put into it, based on your location. So while you would also normally put in all the usual suspects, fire, ambos, SES, what ever, you would also look up and add in things such as say if you lived near an oil refinery, put their channels in, or airport security, or any other major security channels for those users who could be involved in some sort of disaster.

On software, I have tried most of them out, but I find the ARC Butel applications the best for a number of reasons. For one they have the best cut/copy and paste facilities as well as the best file importing features, which makes copying say a BC796D scanner file easy to import into a 996 file, but also Butel probably have the best software support. I know many people on this forum at one time of another have had to contact Gommert about something with Butel software, and I found he not only responded well, but if it was a bug, he fixed it very quickly and added it to an update so everyone had the fix ASAP. Thats also why he is still the only one making software for the DTS96.

So I would recommend Butel software over all.
thats a good recomendation there soupbones... and if anyone is interested in purchasing a rego code I am still an authorised butel dealer(not sure if its much cheaper getting it from me given the $AUD at the moment)

jaskel

Post by jaskel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:09 pm

i need one for the Pro96...
Uniden UBCD996XT - Uniden UBCD396XT - Realistic Pro96 - Uniden UBC 120XLT - Uniden RH96 Remote Head - Scanheads Discone - Rh771,701 Whips - GME TX3420 - Icom ICR310 - Icom IC410F

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:04 pm

This restriction frustrates me to tears, dynamic memory my arse... Uniden screw up more like it.

And it's not a matter of it scanning more with every Talkgroup having an alpha tag saved, if the scanner is on search mode it will search out any TG and provide an Alpha tag from the saved TG's.

Just going to save the standard common ones and keep a laminated list in the car for everything else...