New Uniden handhelds in the U.S.

Air490

New Uniden handhelds in the U.S.

Post by Air490 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:52 am

With the pending release of the two new models (BC346XT and BCD396XT) in the U.S., I have to wonder if there will be an Australian version?

Considering we tend to get left behind, and the fact that the market for "police scanners" has dried up with the widespread introduction of encryption, I don't like the chances. :(

Farsouthscanner

Re: New Uniden handhelds in the U.S.

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm

I hope your wrong but it wouldn't suprise me if your right.
I don't mind if they don't release all the different models out here but it would be good to have a replacement for the 396 and a new cheaper one. If these were in a desktop and a portable they would be enough. Surely they could come up with 4 scanners, I am no expert but it wouldn't be too hard for them to just modify the software for the US ones and release them here, it probably wouldn't even cost them all that much.
Mark

Air490

Post by Air490 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Unfortunately it's not the software Mark, it's the hardware. Scanners for use in the US must be manufactured so they can't be modified to allow reception of the 800MHz mobile phone allocation over there. The end result is modified hardware to ensure they can't be modified.

I am thinking the added cost of developing hardware for the limited Aus/NZ market is not worth it. It's a shame really. The noticeable lack of support for Australian scanners by Uniden Australia (firmware upgrades in particular) makes me think that Uniden Australia will leave the market.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 am

Actually its firmware, not hardware that is changed. No difference in components what so ever between a US 396 and an AU 396.
But it will be market demand that will have Uniden deciding if they should release a model for this region. on't forget the 'UBC's cover the Asia pacific, and not just Australia. On the Radio Reference forum one guy from New Zealand has already asked on there about a UBC model being released.
Frankly, as has been mentioned, I cannot see a huge demand for them and therefore I doubt we will be seeing them. But you never know. Just don't hold your breath waiting.

Air490

Post by Air490 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:02 pm

My understanding was that hardware was the difference, due to US Congress legislating that the scanners could not be modified to receive "cellular" transmissions.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:51 am

The blocking of the 800Mhz cellular band is still done via secure firmware in the Unidens. I know this from talking with people from Uniden in the past.
Being firmware you can't modify it anyway. Its not like you can just hook it to a PC and reprogram firmware. Its much more secure and complicated then that with scanners.

Air490

Post by Air490 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Well there you go! Thanks for the info.

E=MC2

Post by E=MC2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:19 am

I wonder what percentage of calls still or in the clear in the U.ASS.A these days and if it is not a real problem any more ? It may just be that they have not changed the law as yet. I am sure that GSM is used over that way. I would be grateful if someone would let me and others know how and why. Thanks, have a great Easter and lets hope we all still have a pulse at the end of the Easter break hi. 73z E=MC2