Is my Uniden UBCD436-PT Deaf?

DrClaw

Is my Uniden UBCD436-PT Deaf?

Post by DrClaw » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:05 pm

Hey Guys,

Got my hands on a 436 and I am not happy with the receive performance of it.

I still have my trusty 396XT. Where I am, I have Horsley Park and Chullora on PSN for Testing. The 396XT signal on both sites are 4-5 bars of signal and the 436 doesn't pick them up at all. Both are using the standard antenna that comes with both of them. And before you ask, both are programmed correctly.

I find that with some TG still on P25, the 436 drops out half way a transmission but the 396 still holds on the entire way.

When I get some more free time, I will post some pics with both of them next to each other.

Has anyone heard of any issues with the 436? Should I just grin and bare it or should I take it to Uniden to look at it (for laughs).

Cheers!

Timelord17

Re: Is my Uniden UBCD436-PT Deaf?

Post by Timelord17 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:14 pm

On the 436, turn the Digital Threshold Mode to 'Manual' and set the Digital Threshold Level to '6' (Makes the scanner more sensitive)
also set the Hold Time to 3 seconds, (allows a better Decode)
I spend a whole weekend to work that out with a 396 sitting next to my 436 and getting the same results
I run the NSW Radio & Communications website and do a full scanner program with everything thing you can think of and more to listen to..
find me at scanradionsw.blogspot.com/2021/11/radio-programming-services-available.html
cheers
michael

DrClaw

Post by DrClaw » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:58 pm

Michael,

Tried your recommendations. Still no luck.

I am getting very disappointed with it.

On Analyse Mode. WIth Pause on. I watch the signal meter go up to 5 bars then nothing. 2-3 bars then nothing.

I have it on a shelf next to my window, no signal, but touch the sides of the scanner, signal goes up, take it away, nothing.

Decoding. When I find a decent signal, Err rate goes from 50-99.

Chullora for example. My 396XT with original antenna gets 3-4 bars. I plug the 436 into my external antenna on the same site, I am lucky to get 1 bar.

I leaning towards sending it back or contacting Uniden to look at it.

I have a 536 on an external antenna and it runs like a dream.

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:10 pm

How does the 436 perform if you put the external antenna from the 536 on it?

DrClaw

Post by DrClaw » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:51 pm

Wonky wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:10 pm
How does the 436 perform if you put the external antenna from the 536 on it?
If I lock it on Chullora. 536 3-5 bars. 436 1 to nothing.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Firstly the 436 if you decide to return it, will have to go the Pacific Telecommunications in Melbourne. Uniden does not service or support these units.

Are you using Sentinel software to program these units? Or was the 436 programmed via the keypad? Programming via the keypad often leads to problems because functions and features are enabled or disabled inadvertently causing operational issues. The software will give you the bigger picture enabling correction. Also don't rely too much on the signal strength indicators, they are far from calibrated and can vary widely even within the same model.

Lastly are you connecting the external to the 436 using the SMA connector or an adapter? The supplied SMA/BNC adapter is the much preferred option. Aftermarket adapters vary in quality and sometimes the centre pin does not make good contact in the SMA. Likewise some SMA connectors can also fail.
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

DrClaw

Post by DrClaw » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:01 pm

Hey Rusty,

I just got the email from Uniden and yes, I have to contact Pac-Tel, which I have done.

I am using Sentinel, I already own a 536 on an external antenna and it performs very well (thinking of buying a 2nd one tbh)

What is on the 536 in regards to favourites, sites etc is on the 436.

Most definitely using the supplied SMA/BNC adaptor as my external antenna lead in is terminated with BNC.

I'm done playing with it (almost threw it against the wall), it's just sitting on the shelf now until I hear from Pac-Tel.

Cheers.