Can anybody recommend a good home base scanner

Adpad

Can anybody recommend a good home base scanner

Post by Adpad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 am

I have a old uniden bearcat ubcd996t and was thinking of updating ? Can anybody recommend some thing that would last a few years as the 996 is getting a bit old ? Adam
Rural Fire Service member , scanner nut 25 years , owns a undien 396xt and a uniden 996

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Can anybody recommend a good home base scanner

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 am

I'm not really up to date on what's the latest and greatest, Russell is the go-to guy in that area, but I would suggest that you include P25 Phase 2 decoding in your 'must have' list?

The NSWGRN is starting to lag behind in Phase 2 (the VICMMR and QLDGWN have both gone that way already) but it is coming soon to a site near you!

Andrew

Adpad

Post by Adpad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am

Copy that thanks for the info Andrew
Rural Fire Service member , scanner nut 25 years , owns a undien 396xt and a uniden 996

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 am

If you are looking at upgrading, you won't get any Australian scanner that is more current than the UBCD996T.

I would personally would hold off as a UBCD996T used in NSW will still scan everything (well, technically more) than any of the more modern overseas Uniden/GRE scanners that you may consider importing.

If the NSW GRN does go Phase 2 I'd reconsider at that time. Maybe by that time there will be a scanner out there that will cover the popular digital modes used by most business/commercial operators, or at the very least a more modern Aussie version available - but I won't hold my breath :D