Uniden USDS100 Released

cartman

Larry Van Horn Review on SDS100

Post by cartman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Larry Van Horn Review on SDS100 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

http://radioaficion.com/cms/uniden-sds100-review/
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Wonky

Re: Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Wonky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Has anyone with a USDS100 attempted to monitor the Shift VHF TIII (HYT) system?

The 536-PT will not track it all...wondering if there is any difference between the two?

The latest Fast Lane release of DSD+ now monitors (and follows calls) correctly on the Shift system, audio sounds very good from it too.

Xplorer00

Post by Xplorer00 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 pm

The only thing that is a factor with Uniden Australia, is that a model is released in Australia and then not supported by updated firmware and features.
All US newer models 435/536/325 received firmware updates and feature upgrades, some of which the Australian version will probably never receive.

We waited until recently to have DMR & NXDN made available to the 436/536PT, when it was available to the US variant 436/536HP years prior.
Even the Euro UBCD3600XLT had DMR years prior to the Australian 436PT DMR being available.
The 325 US version has DMR, but Australian version probably never will.

The million dollar questions are:
1. What is the best choice, either the SDS100, SDS100E, or USDS100 version, all of which are about the same price point when converted?
2. Will Uniden Australia support the USDS100 with future updates when US release their SDS100 improvement firmware updates?
3. Will Uniden Australia support future feature upgrades for the USDS100 when and as made available for the US SDS100 version?

I'd hate to wait for years to find out Australian Uniden will/won't provide future updates and feature upgrades in alignment with the other variants.
But, I'd hate to purchase a $1000+ scanner from overseas and have something go wrong with it, then having to send overseas for repair at a cost.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 am

I am getting a little sick of the constant complaint about no firmware update for this radio or that. Has it occurred to everyone that the updates released in the US are unique to the US? The US is going through some significant RF changes, so the firmware changes are only relevant to them.

Otherwise please enlighten me as to what needs updating via firmware? Believe me Uniden are kept in the loop when things are in need of change. Relevant things, not changes to the 700 MHz trunking band in Bumfluff Iowa.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Is Bumfluff Iwoa just South of the Bellybutton Lint Township?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Pumper_50 wrote:Is Bumfluff Iwoa just South of the Bellybutton Lint Township?
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah, just the other side of Scrotum Indiana.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Xplorer00

Post by Xplorer00 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 pm

rustynswrail wrote:I am getting a little sick of the constant complaint about no firmware update for this radio or that. Has it occurred to everyone that the updates released in the US are unique to the US? The US is going through some significant RF changes, so the firmware changes are only relevant to them.

Otherwise please enlighten me as to what needs updating via firmware? Believe me Uniden are kept in the loop when things are in need of change. Relevant things, not changes to the 700 MHz trunking band in Bumfluff Iowa.

R
I'm far from new with comms and don't complain much at all.
Yes, some updates were only specific to US, but doesn't change the fact we wait so long here to receive upgrades when US received them years prior.
I am fortunate to have a number of types and models, Australian and overseas, and do know the differences in their capability and frequency ranges.

Previously from VIC where I'm all over most comms there, I'm now in NSW and keen to learn from others and assist where I can.
I 'm also new to SDR and DSD+, so keen to learn from others.

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm

R,

In relation to the 436/536 PT, ability to trunk track HYT TIII systems (eg the Shift network)?

Haven't noted anyone say whether the 100 does or does not track these systems as yet.

Scotty

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Scotty » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:05 pm

I've had a USDS100 for a little bit now, and I'd like to post the following.

First up, the USDS100 is fantastic. The good points about this scanner are far too numerous to list here, suffice to say it is by far the best scanner I have purchased - and I have had more than a few over the years.

However, there are a couple of issues I'd like to raise - with the full knowledge that Russell pops his head in here:

- BATTERY:
Let's be honest, it's crap. The battery lasts only 4 to 6 hours when scanning the GRN, then takes between 6 to 8 hours to fully charge. The USDS uses a special Li-Ion battery pack, meaning there are no 'OEM' or off the shelf options available. Worse still, Uniden AU still do not offer spare batteries or external chargers, which means it is not possible to take this handheld scanner somewhere without external power. The US models got an upgraded (horrible looking) battery pack before the AU version was even released here. It is a pity the battery issues rectified in the US model were not rectified here. That aside, at the very least Uniden AU could hurry up and stock battery packs and chargers so this fantastic handheld scanner can finally be used away from a desk.

- 'FAVORITES LIST':
Why does the 'Favorites List' need to load from the SD card each and every time the scanner starts? Can it not be moved to another location on the scanner to speed up startup? Considering the only way to use this scanner in AU is with the required information in the 'Favorites List', it is a pity this list cannot be better managed. Waiting 20-25 seconds each time you start the scanner for the 'Favorites List' to load is, again to be honest, crap.

- SOFTWARE:
The USDS100 Sentinel software is still not available from the Uniden AU website. To get access to it you have to know somebody who has it. Considering the way in which this scanner is programmed, that's not very good. How hard is it to put a link to it on the website?

- POSTCODE SCANNING:
Why can't the postcode options be made available to AU users? The Sentinel software allows GPS locations to be added, so if postcodes could have GPS co-ords added then the 'Zip Services' button would work here. Maybe this could be a consideration for the future?

- USB/BLUETOOTH/WIFI - THE FUTURE:
Micro and mini? Really? Welcome to the 2000's! :)
More a US development issue, but I wonder why Type-C wasn't used? Considering the technology in this scanner it would have made sense, with it's ability to be used for power/data/audio/video. More of a 'shake head' issue than an operating issue, as the mini/micro do work. And while on developer considerations, it's about time a ~$1000 (RRP) scanner comes with Bluetooth (for earphones/speakers) and even WiFi for updating/modifying/connecting to external PC's without a cable - consdering these options are available on 'older' spec BCDx36 models.

Radio_Australia

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Radio_Australia » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Where do I start ...

If you’re monitoring the grn or any other p25 uhf network it will work for you ,

When it comes to dmr , nxdn , cap+ cap max ,etc etc , you will encounter issues ..

Sensitivity is very crap compared with the much older 436 ,

For testing , I had a 436 and sds side by side and the SDs would miss a majority of conversations.

I had 3 replacements , yes I gave them 3 chances, the 436 is my scanner of choice.