Programming Lead - Motorola Spectra

centralcoastscanman

Programming Lead - Motorola Spectra

Post by centralcoastscanman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 pm

does anyone know whether or not a programming lead that will work with an XTL5000 will work on a Motorola Spectra ?

a mate has purchased a Spectra with a W3 head from ebay, and i thought i'd get in and start making enquiries before he drops in asking me to program it up with some RX channels...

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Programming Lead - Motorola Spectra

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 am

I've never had a Spectra to play with but I believe the answer is no... I think Spectra's need a RIB and XTL's don't.

Andrew

Edit: I should add that I made the assumption (above) we're only talking about an old analog Spectra; if it's an ASTRO Spectra then I think they are much more akin to the XTLs and I believe that, since they're both ASTRO radios, they do indeed share some of the same programming cables (depending on which control head your cable suits that is), but of course even if it is an ASTRO Spectra it won't work with the USB cable, it has to be the old slow-ass serial type.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:48 am

I believe its a P25 Astro Spectra, but not 100% sure as I have not sighted the radio yet just thought i'd get in early to find out what sorta gear i'm doing to need to get the RX stuff done that he wants...

Thanks

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:25 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:does anyone know whether or not a programming lead that will work with an XTL5000 will work on a Motorola Spectra ?

a mate has purchased a Spectra with a W3 head from ebay, and i thought i'd get in and start making enquiries before he drops in asking me to program it up with some RX channels...
You will need a RIB and correct cable. The XTL5000 cable you have will be either the rear connector or mic(both different to astro spectra). The lead that the astro spectra plus and XTL5000 HHCH use is not compatible with a standard astro spectra. (don't mistake the flashing cable for the programming one as its different)

Just make a cable. Don't forget 98% of the spectras out there require the ignition positive on the acc connector and you will also need the latest CPS(or at least a version that his radio is programmed with).

http://batlabs.com/images/speclo.gif