national parks and wildlife

ivahri

Re: national parks and wildlife

Post by ivahri » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 am

Longreach wrote:

as you are willing to move out of FM828 era & in to the new world
oh now c'mon richard you cant knock the 828, tuff as nails, even heard 2 of them hooked together to make a repeater :) next thing youll be knockin the syntrx :)

cheers
Get back ye Satan! The Yaesu FT101 was a damn fine radio too but everything has its use by date... I don't see many people flocking to buy FT101s!

But yes you are right- they are simple to use & reconfigure & you can't kill them with a sledgehammer. But putting them at high noise base sites verges on cruelty to the elderly... Go up the North Coast- I swear that along with humans this is where 828s go to die... heaps of them at base sites but they are disappearing fast.

Cheers,

Richard

criten

Post by criten » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:25 pm

ivahri wrote:Radio dying a slow death eh?
More specifically for commerical orgs. Why pay thousands of dollars per year on a radio license and about a grand per radio handset when there are significantly cheaper options? Especially when you can replace your existing radio equipment for approximately the annual upkeep of your radios (of course, under the right circumstance).
ivahri wrote:You need to keep emergency & essential services away from non-essential traffic. The carriers don't distinguish.
Yep, keeping things isolated pays for any moments of congestion. However its wrong to say the carriers don't distinguish - its called 'contention ratio' aka how many users share the line vs actual capacity. When you have a contention ratio of 1:1 you are not sharing with anyone - congestion could only possibly be caused by your own usage. Telstra/Optus/AAPT (the big 3) all sell services with a contention of 1:1. The typical customers are emergency services and telecommunication companies as they cannot tolerate shared capacity.
centralcoastscanman wrote: If you had ever worked in a hospital you would understand how effective communication with security if needed is the lifeline of nurses sometimes as well.
I still seem to think a panic button would be more reliable, secure, faster to alert, and cheaper to operate. Afterall - security is not just a concern for staff but also patients.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Taxi companies continue to rely very heavily on radio and invest considerable amounts in building, maintaining and licencing these systems. It comes down to common sense really- if you use the radio base lightly and it isn't business critical, then use a mobile phone. But if you use it heavily & can't afford to be at the mercy of others, then radio is the way to go.

Emergency services (except NSW Police) already share. It is called the GRN. But they share with generally similiar voice traffic (remember what happened when Ambos send megaloads of data some years back?) and use a system that allows priority to be given to essential services. I'm sure carriers can prioritise traffic to some extent too, but that clearly comes at a price, which then takes you back to non-carrier based systems. Lastly, the need for "all informed" comms makes standards such as P25 or TETRA, or simple PMR the way to go. It is interesting also to note that none of those carriers you mention aggressively market themselves for this business- they know as well as we do that they really aren't serious options.

Richard

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:57 pm

criten wrote:
ivahri wrote:Radio dying a slow death eh?
More specifically for commerical orgs. Why pay thousands of dollars per year on a radio license and about a grand per radio handset when there are significantly cheaper options? Especially when you can replace your existing radio equipment for approximately the annual upkeep of your radios (of course, under the right circumstance).
ivahri wrote:You need to keep emergency & essential services away from non-essential traffic. The carriers don't distinguish.
Yep, keeping things isolated pays for any moments of congestion. However its wrong to say the carriers don't distinguish - its called 'contention ratio' aka how many users share the line vs actual capacity. When you have a contention ratio of 1:1 you are not sharing with anyone - congestion could only possibly be caused by your own usage. Telstra/Optus/AAPT (the big 3) all sell services with a contention of 1:1. The typical customers are emergency services and telecommunication companies as they cannot tolerate shared capacity.
centralcoastscanman wrote: If you had ever worked in a hospital you would understand how effective communication with security if needed is the lifeline of nurses sometimes as well.
I still seem to think a panic button would be more reliable, secure, faster to alert, and cheaper to operate. Afterall - security is not just a concern for staff but also patients.
Duress Alarm systems are in use in both clinical and non clinical areas. This is a requirement of Department of Health as well as meeting the employer obligations under the oh&s legislation.

Duress systems if not setup properly also have their own problems.

One hospital I worked at their duress alarm system was setup perfectly and every time the duress alarm was activated security were notified by radio from the control room of the incident so they could respond as generally the security officers were spread out all over the campus conducting patrols.

Another hospital i worked at where the duress alarm system was supposedly setup properly there was a 98% false alarms as the system was not setup properly, in this situation we relied on switchboard to contact us via radio when an emergency call was made by ed staff.

Security in hospitals depending on how big the campus is hardly spend anytime in the office at all, which means that they need to be able to have radio contact with a control room to be advised if there are jobs or if there are agressive incidents to respond to.

Some hospitals this is done purerly via Radio which is what i'd prefer, others its a combiation of security carrying a pager as well as having a radio.

Do you work in the security industry or have you had any sort of medical background or law enforcement background ?

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 am

Isn't this a thread about national parks and wildlife??????? :roll:

criten

Post by criten » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Heard the frequency 125.45 MHz mentioned today on either 05 or 53 - believe it was park air 2 talking to park air 3. They called it "National Parks Numbers"

I later heard it mentioned again on RFS State OPs as "National Parks air band"

Today I've also heard park air 2, 3, 5 & firebird 245 & 271 on this freq.

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:51 pm

criten wrote:Heard the frequency 125.45 MHz ...

Today I've also heard park air 2, 3, 5 & firebird 245 & 271 on this freq.
They used that freq at the S44 fire at the start of the year near Wyndham on the far south coast. If I remember correctly it was an air to air freq the pilots talked on.
Mark

criten

Post by criten » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't think its simplex... I forgot to mention I also heard Sydney Radar talking on it, directing traffic. But maybe cause they were alot more conversational about the fire fighting ops.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 pm

yep the so called numbers frequency, is used a lot for air to air. the michalago fire was using 128.7
cheers
VK2MRC

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 pm

I think you will find 123.45 is "the numbers"

it was until recent times an unauthorised chatter channel

now authorised :-)