Legality of Scanners Overseas

pks

Legality of Scanners Overseas

Post by pks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Does anyone know if its legal to own and use a scanner in Japan?
My guess would be yes, since these Uniden scanners were engineered there?
But just making sure :lol:

JAFO

Re: Legality of Scanners Overseas

Post by JAFO » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm

pks wrote:Does anyone know if its legal to own and use a scanner in Japan?
My guess would be yes, since these Uniden scanners were engineered there?
But just making sure :lol:
Just because they were engineered there does not mean they are allowed there :?:

But back to the question, can’t say I have ever heard if they are or are not permitted in Japan. Just one question, can you speak Japanese?

Just asking, as a scanner may not be much use if you can’t understand the lingo :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

pks

Post by pks » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 am

I don't understand Japanese so might not be as fun scanning something you don't understand :lol:

Just went to Uniden Japan's site and apparently, their scanners are only available for the oversea market. Hmm...

geodementia

Post by geodementia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Depends - if you are primarily interested in Aviation, then you would be in luck, as it is mandatory to use the English language for all aeronautical communications. Having said that, in many countries they still revert back to their native tongue when talking to local aircraft, and even if they are speaking english the accent can be so heavy it is almost unreadable 8-)

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I passed my PPL in march, and before doing that I had to sit a ICAO Level 6 english exam to be able to fly overseas.

The funniest thing was that the whole "english" test was listening to Saudi, French, German, Iraqi air traffic controllers attempting to speak english in stressed situations and correctly interpreting them!

Lots of times when i'm on Sydney Radar there will be an overseas student trying his best to speak to ATC - sometimes you cant tell if its english or what!!

:| :|

Cheers,
Matt