Recording Scanner audio.

frankc

Recording Scanner audio.

Post by frankc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

For those of us who were wondering about the Legality of Recording Scanner Audio may find this post on Railpage Australia of Interest.

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1150941.htm#1150941

Especially this bit:
I just contacted ACMA about the recording of scanner devices.

The guy I spoke to says there is NO offense against recording audio heard from the scanner.
He also said to take a look at Part 2-1 of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... E2001A38BB

So it seems that we are allowed to record audio from the scanner after all :-)

centralcoastscanman

Re: Recording Scanner audio.

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:42 pm

you are, some people are worried about the implications of the audio being downloaded from their website especially if its listened to by someone who is later involved in a jury for that particular prosecution as it could bring up some interesting legal problems.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Im interested to know where you heard that recording scanner audio was illegal in the first place.
Recording it has never been illegal. It what you do with it that can cause some legal problems. Recording for your own personal use is certainly legal. Its depends on how you use it if its not for personal that could possible get you into trouble.

frankc

Post by frankc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 pm

soupbones wrote:Im interested to know where you heard that recording scanner audio was illegal in the first place.
Recording it has never been illegal. It what you do with it that can cause some legal problems. Recording for your own personal use is certainly legal. Its depends on how you use it if its not for personal that could possible get you into trouble.
It's been a subject that has been raised many times on aus.radio.scanner and similar groups, and each time the ACMA has said the same thing.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:27 am

As I stated, I don't think recording is the issue, it what you do with it afterwards that could be a legal nightmare. Putting recordings up on the web, or scanner streams have already lead to legal issues for a number of people in Australia in the past.
The same answer to this question applies. If you record for personal use only, you will never have an issue. Putting recordings in the public domain may not be illegal either but that does not mean you may still not get into trouble. There are a number of reasons of which you may land in court if you do this, but that is always a risk you take by doing so.